Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions New Lifetime subscriber here - looking for senior members advice

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Zach Fell.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matt Graham
    Participant

Hi everyone! I was really excited to see a thread discussing personal mixed sessions on members' produced music for feedback Thursdays but that has not come to fruition yet. Hopefully one day.

I subscribed for lifetime because during my free trial it was easy to spot how absolutely awesome the members are here (obviously this includes Warren and staff). I need help. Too new to my DAW, too new to Production, too new to micing and so on. I am not inept or starting from dead scratch however, LOL BUT I clearly need assistance.

I was thinking that if I could supply untreated raw tracks straight off of the mic pres and some pics of the live session mic set ups, some of you seasoned engineers might take a few moments to view and listen followed by some ideas to better my performance as a recording engineer. Post to follow and then of course overall production.

My current gear consists of an 8 channel mic pre/ DAC Prism Sound Atlas, BAE1073, UK SOUND 1173, various wonderful mics you all mostly have and Logic Pro X. Current Computer is a mid 2012 MacBook Pro SSD and 16gigs or ram.

I am saving up for a new Macbook Pro (end of the year with luck) and will also delve into Pro Tools when the new machine is in my possession.

Is this too ambitious? I really have nothing to compare my sessions to in terms of quality off of the mic pre so I doubt how solid my captures are.

Many thanks for reading!

Matty

Magnus Johansson
      Participant

I´m sure your captures are alright. Gear seem more than adequate. How is your room(s). If you have some control over room reflections and bleed you are probably ready to go.

If you upload some pics and sounds you will likely get some tips from other users here. What crosses my mind thinking of sources to check.. the recording videos here at plapa, multitracks from here, cambridge-mt and telefunken. Yesterday I found a free multitrack from Lewitt microphones. Warren likes those alot. I like the Mixing Secrets book from Mike Senior, he also has a recording secrets book. Probably as good as the mixing one. I also like the zen books from Mixerman. Recording, Producing, Mixing.
        The telefunken multitracks is often multimiced, great fun for hearing differencies in mics.

Ambitious... don´t know much about macs but if it has a hard time keeping up with your sessions it might be time to upgrade.

Matt Graham
        Participant

Magnus, thank you for your interest!! I did forget to mention that I designed my recording rig to be mobile so that I could set up at my clients homes to record.

I was asking in a round about way where I could compare my straight off the mic pre capture against something of the same from a more pro set up. I feel like my captures are too close sounding, boxy even. OR too much bleed. For purposes of discussion, lets simply use two overheads and snare mic only.

My overheads sound decent, the snare is centered in between the two but can be too quiet vs the cymbals and even though in phase, the over all picture can sound swishy and washed. Low end is good. I am not happy with the detail yet BUT my last outing I experimented with recorder man technique. I'll space pair next time and revisit. Then there is my snare, definitely too close sounding and boxy. Sounds like a live snare at a club.

I'll put a brief example of something up soon.

Tony
          Participant

h

Magnus Johansson
            Participant

Matt, I´m not sure I´m following you. If you want to compare your "drum" recording with others, download the multitracks found here or the other places I tipped about. There are many places these days that has multitracks. From plapa you find recordings by warren in his "small" room and other big studios. Sorry can´t remember the names right now.

Close mics do sound.. close. Blend with others to get a more natural sound. overheads and room. Snare: add a bottom mic.

Swichy and washed.. is it possible to eq? adds lows and mids, cut the highs. Tighten those cymbal screws somewhat. Can sound really weird with cymbals swaying too much from the hit. Doesn´t look as cool though:) Personally I have had best results with close mics as overheads, close as in x/y config. Have not tried it yet but I think a m/s setup as overheads will work great. Someday I shall also try this... https://youtu.be/K9NjecFFoIQ A technique from weathervane, also a good place for multitracks. Often with videos showing different stuff.

Bleed, often not the big problem one might think it will be. Careful mic positioning, gating, expanding, sidechain compression (ducking), editing, replacing is your tools here. Some do some samples of the drums being recorded and replace with those. That is probably the best solution to too much hihat in snare. Also as you mentioned, phase is good to check.

Do upload some tracks if you want and I and probably more will chime in. Not sure I will have too much to add though.

Added a short overhead loop. xy with the cheapest mics found (small condensers). Not as wide as you might like, i like it somewhere like this and other stuff at the mix edges. From this I would put a hi-shelving cut, more or less hipass out the kick, boost the lows above the hipass.

Tony
              Participant

h

Magnus Johansson
                Participant

Tony 🙂 Together with the close mics, a fake room room, some samples on the toms, it worked out alright. Drummer insisted I used his mics on the toms. They sounded good in isolation but had too much bleed to be usable, samples it got.

Zach Fell
                  Participant

[quote quote=45410]How much did you pay for Lifetime Membership? I just joined and the only options I saw were Monthly and Yearly... How much was it?[/quote]

Mine was $99 per month for 3 months for the lifetime.
                    Link:
                    https://producelikeapro.thrivecart.com/produce-like-a-pro-academy-lifetime/

-Zach

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.