Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions MULTI-BAND COMPRESSION?

• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by JamEZmusic.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Adam Threlfall
    Participant

If I put a compressor on the master bus but there's no filter dial to stop low end coming through, what do we do? Is Multi-band compressor the next easiest way?

Gerald Lavoie
      Participant

You could insert a eq plug in. Most of them have a high-pass ( low cut) filter in them. Use it to roll off whatever you don't want. Whether you insert it before or after the compressor is a matter of taste and a topic of discussion with most mixers.
        Regards, Gerry.

Andrew Mckenzie
        Participant

I have heard of some guys using a multi band compressor on the mix bus but for me personally, I try and get the mix about right before applying a little master bus compressor over the whole thing, but just a little. After that I would place whatever limiter or maximiser you want to stop any unintentional clipping and push that a little more to gain some level rather than pushing the bus compressor too much.

Have you tried running a parallel mix bus and compressing the bejesus out of that and blending it back in?

Fun stuff. 🙂

Cheers....Andrew

Patrick Schindler
          Participant

I am not quite sure what your question is. Does the low end cause too much pumping, do you to aim / tighten tame somewhat lose low end, do you try to cut off sub-bass rumble or a combination or something completely different?

Adam Threlfall
            Participant

Yes Patrick, it's the pumping thing. I still want that same low end but I don't want it to affect the master bus compressor, surely this can't be the same as applying an EQ before or after it??? as EQ before bus compressor would basically not let as much low end through, but with a bus compressor that has in-built filter, it still lets the low end through but doesn't compress it?

I'm learning!

Adam Threlfall
              Participant

Hi Gerald, I don't think thats what i'm going for? check my response to Patrick. 🙂 thanks for input though.

Adam Threlfall
                Participant

I can't see how its possible unless I have a complete parallel mix and then split the frequencies between mix 1 and mix 2!

using a bus comp with freq filter is obviously much easier! lol.

Adam Threlfall
                  Participant

thanks Amacca i'll try it 🙂

Patrick Schindler
                    Participant

Yeah, using a compressor with high pass filter in the side-chain is what I do to avoid this issue. The difference to a multi-band compressor is, that the frequencies below the cut off will be compressed as well, they just do not trigger the compressor.

The cut off frequency will of course depend a lot on the track and how steep the filters are, but I usually tend to land somewhere between 90 and 200 HZ.

I actually almost angers me when there are modern plugins that do not offer side-chain filtering, just because the original hardware unit they try to emulate did not have this either. Same goes for mix knobs and to a lesser extend external side-chain. That's my morning rant done...

If you do not have a decent compressor with side-chain filter for bus compression duties, here is a great free one: http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/

Two other great options for very small money are the great MJUC and it's older brother DC8C. MJUC can be really great on the master bus, but being a Vari-Mu type compressor emulation, it's does not really do punchy like an SSL Bus Compressor, a Focusrite Red and other VCA would do. DC8C is probably one of the most versatile compressors out there, together with u-he Presswerk and comes in even a little cheaper than the already increadibly affordable MJUC. If I could only have two compressor plugins, it would be DC8C and MJUC. http://klanghelm.com/contents/products/DC8C/DC8C.php

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Patrick Schindler.
                      Adam Threlfall
                      Participant

Thanks Patrick i'll check em out 🙂

JamEZmusic
                        Participant

Send your mix bus to a send
                          High pass EQ on the send (however much you want the compressor to high pass)
                          Change the sends output to (none) so you can't hear it
                          Put compressor on your master but sidechained to the send with high pass filter.

This way your compressor will ignore the low end as it's sidechained to the high passes send, I hope I explained clear enough, I'm writing on iPad again and renowned for jumbling up my words using this thing

Bit of a hassle but if your compressor has no high pass filter this is the way to do it. But you could probably download a third party compressor with sidechained filter although I believe there is some sort of merit to doing things manually sometimes.

Edit... ahhh Patrick already got ya covered, I was premature again.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by JamEZmusic.
                          • This reply was modified 6 years ago by JamEZmusic.
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.