Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Mono vs. Stereo Plugins

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Stephen Korst.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Korst
    Participant

In the case of a plugin such as Wave's MV2, which comes in a mono and a stereo version...

Which one should be used on what kind of track? Is it as easy as use the stereo MV2 on a stereo track and the mono MV2 on a mono track? Or, in the case of mixing mono tracks into a stereo buss, should the stereo be used all the time? Or, is there specific or a "no rules apply" as usual in the mixing world?

Any thoughts, advice, expert or otherwise would be appreciated.

steve

Pedro Pitta Groz
      Participant

I think it is as easy as that. Mono plugins (or stereo if there's no mono version) on mono tracks and stereo on stereo tracks. If you're bussing mono elements of a drum kit to a drum bus, you'll put mono plugins on the tracks and stereo plugins on the drum bus where you have those elements paned.
        In Reaper there's a way to mono the stereo ones thru the plugin pin connectors and that is good to save cpu. I don't know how that goes in other daws.
        Cheers,
        Pedro

Stephen Korst
        Participant

Thanks, Pedro! That makes the most sense and I'll be doing that from now on.

Kind regards,
          steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.