Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Monitors advice

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Chris Sweet.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sweet
    Participant

Hey folks, been thinking about changing up my monitor situation. Been using yammy hs7s for a while now and while my mixes translate ok, I feel like I'm missing transient and mid range detail.

So I'm considering either the KRK VXT6 or the Neumann 120. Anyone have experience with either?

Jared Sherman
      Participant

I have the Neumann 310As and I really like them a lot. I have heard the 120s are similar.

Chris Sweet
        Participant

Yeah I've seen nothing but good about the 120s. Now I'm also looking at the msp7s as well. It's yamahas "pro" offering. Reviews indicate they're great if not popular.

Patrick Schindler
          Participant

I don't have any experience with either of those, but why not just add a second pair of monitors to get a second perspective. If mid-range detail and transients is what you are missing from your Yammy's, then maybe some kind of Auratone type speakers could be the ticket. I use a pair of Behritone C50A (could not buy a single one here), standing next to each other off to my right side. There are of course other options, both cheaper and more posh.

Here's some more food for thought:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul09/articles/qa0709_1.htm
            http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com/2014/12/28/steal-moms-kitchen-radio/

Chris Sweet
            Participant

Ya know, I actually have a pair of avantone mixcubes but haven't really learned them yet. That's probably what I need to do.

Patrick Schindler
              Participant

Maybe do not worry too much about learning them and just starting to use them. I find if I do the heavy lifting on those, it makes my job much easier. If the levels and sounds are good on the little speakers which are practically giving me a mono output, getting it to sound right on the bigger monitors or headphones is mainly a matter of tweaking the lows and highs. Sadly, they have not managed to eliminate the old self doubt and the general urge to mess something up, by changing something that was pretty solid before trying to make it so much better.. 😉

Chris Sweet
                Participant

Good advice 🙂 I did end up picking up a pair of Yamaha MSP7's as I read they were a bit more accurate then the HS7's but I am going to be using the mixcubes more for the heavy lifting.

Chris Sweet
                  Participant

Quick update; have had the MSP7's for a couple days. First impressions are they are very revealing and unforgiving. Supposedly they were the final design of the guy that made the NS10's. I notice they're really making me work for my mid range. Problematic mixes I couldn't figure out are showing their problems clearly now. They don't sound radically different than my HS7's but they definitely have an extended and more detailed upper mid/high end. I quickly reworked a mix I was struggling with on these and was pleasantly surprised at how well it translated to the car even though I don't know these speakers well at all yet. Cautiously optimistic but I think these were a good buy (especially for what I managed to pay for them)

Axel Ronsin
                    Participant

This may be a little late in coming,
                      but I have recently moved from Event 20/20Bas to Neumann KH120s.

I was amazed by the Neumann's precision as compared to the Events.
                      For the first time, a change of 1dB on an EQ could be heard in the speakers.
                      They are also a lot more faithful to the mix at low volumes.

On the down side,

1/ they lack power.
                      This WE I had a band over for a listen.
                      I turned the KH120s up, but they were not able to give me the umpf
                      I used to get from the larger more powerful Event 20/20s.
                      (And my control room is small)
                      Now I understand why professional studio have near fields AND huge monitors 🙂

2/ they don't have much below 80Hz
                      I am thinking of getting a subwoofer to fix that.
                      I hear decent subwoofers can be had from Yamaha for less than a 100 Euros / bucks...

I hope this helps one of you.

Axel

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Axel Ronsin.
                      Chris Sweet
                      Participant

Thanks for the feedback on the neumanns. I've been thrilled with the Yamaha msp7's. they bat way above their price range. For me, in my room, they're helping my mixes translate pretty flawlessly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.