Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Monitor/headphone buying advice

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Galen Abraham.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Galen Abraham
    Participant

Hi everyone

I'm currently mixing on a pretty cheap pair of closed back headphones, and am thinking of getting my first pair of monitors, or a higher end pair of headphones. Can anyone recommend some excellent bang-for-your-buck monitors please? I'm mixing in a small bedroom for context.

Thanks!

Paul Motion
      Participant

Hey Galen, me again.. just happen to be lurking ? Monitors I can’t speak from experience but if I was in a buying position I would get the Kali LP6’s. If money was super tight then the iLouds from IK Multimedia also have a great reputation.
        Headphones, for mixing you really want open back if possible. I use AKG K702’s which I really like in conjunction with the Sonarworks Reference 4 Headphone edition, (there should be a discount for academy members I think).
        This is a hugely subjective topic though.. there’s no one right answer I’m afraid. I like the AKGs because I can wear them for a long time without discomfort, and now I’m getting pretty familiar with how they sound... The Beyer Dynamic DT range has a good rep as well.

Best of luck!!

face (chris) Janton
        Participant

JBL LSR305 are excellent. Kali LP6 would be my first choice these days. I would love to try the Kali IN8, but I think they would be too much for my small room...3.2m wide, 4.4m long, 2.4m high - 34.5 cubic meters - the LP6 would certainly not be too much...

I am sticking with my ATH-R70x reference headphones. Simply outstanding - open-back

Galen Abraham
          Participant

Thanks Chris!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.