Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Member Collaborations Mix/Remix a house track: Emilsson - Sunday Dubs

• This topic has 15 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Frequency Painter.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Magnus Emilsson
    Participant

Hey.

Here's the last track from my Cold Winter EP.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ul6qn6khd9jsw7/Emilsson_Sunday_Dubs_Multitracks.zip?dl=0

This one was entirely recorded from hardware synths & boxes, Elektron Digitakt, Digitone, Roland TB-03, SE-01, Juno 106 & Korg Volca Kick. Rearranged & mixed in the box. Have fun with it!

/Magnus

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Magnus Emilsson.
      stu brown
      Participant

Hey Magnus, thanks again for the great tracks, most fun one yet I think. Always interesting to see how you put your songs together, really well arranged and everything has its own space. Turned out to be more of a remix this time. Just gotta say I don't understand why no-one else is mixing these tracks. Weird. Anyway, thanks again, really enjoyed doing this. Stu.
        https://soundcloud.com/manuke4/emilsson-sunday-dubs-manuke-mix

Frequency Painter
        Participant

Hey Stu,

Guess what, my mix collapsed on me again today 🙂 Oh dear Lord, when will this be finished? I think Magnus hexed this track, what else can it be? Haha. Let's see if tomorrow will be a better day...

Cfr your mix. It shows you master your DAW and plugs very well. Kudos for the editing and all the interesting and mesmerising FX and build-ups! When I listened the first time, I was waiting for a heavy BD to drop in, but it never did. Would there be enough low-end in the BD? I don't exactly know what your plan was sound wise, but for a dance floor mix, I think it lacks oomph in the lows. Regarding the structure, I get a bit confused. For me the story telling is a bit too scattered. It feels like there is no common thread. But on the other hand, it is still a journey with lots of surprises. Although this is in the realm of personal taste, I wanted to let you know my view. Maybe it can spark some good ideas...

Do people know these tracks are available? Maybe not many visit this collab thread here...

To be continued...

Louis

Magnus Emilsson
          Participant

I had a few false starts with this one as well, this is what is sounded like about 1 hour into the creation process, not that similar to the end result. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq2pCLXC46v/

stu brown
            Participant

Hey Louis, thanks for the feedback, just what I need on things like this. Used to do a lot of these types of remixes on The Weathervane site and its not the first time someone's mentioned something similar to what you did, 'nice sounds but doesn't go anywhere' or something similar. Which I totally understand cos its true. Think I spend so much time tweaking effects I lose sight of the big picture, just like my previous mix. Usually ends up being 3 or 4 different parts jammed together without any particular cohesion. You mentioned my 'plan was sound wise', I never have one, sometimes it works, sometimes not, I de-tune stuff throw some effects at it, then do that again and again, I just go wherever it leads me really. But still have a lot of fun. Interesting you mentioned the kick, actually added two to get some beef but I was prob being cautious with the low end after my previous mix was so bottom heavy. Anyway, hang in there with your mix, looking forward to what you do with it. Thanks again for listening and your critique, much appreciated, Stu.

Frequency Painter
              Participant

Hi guys,

So ... the baby is born 🙂 It's name is Ecstasy Dance Floor Mix. Hopefully it's not too ugly haha. Ok, get your dancing shoes and here we go ... 🙂

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5kcn4ik5zn8gbc/emilsson-sundaydubs-1.2.wav?dl=0

Louis

Magnus Emilsson
                Participant

Hey Louis & Stu.

As always super fun to listen to these mixes. I like the progression in your mix Louis, although the drums sort of overpowers everything else, especially the kick. Might you have been cranking the volume while mixing? 🙂
                  Stu, I like what you did edit wise, although I agree with Louis that the low end seems to have gone missing. 😉

Both are very creative!

/Magnus

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Magnus Emilsson.
                  Frequency Painter
                  Participant

Hi Magnus,

Yes the drums are too loud. I'll render another version asap. In some way it was kind of difficult to get the balance right and not loose the groove. This (re)mix was an odd one. I probably took a wrong turn somewhere, I don't know. 🙂 And yeah, it bangs really hard when the volume is up and my head was bobbing all the time 😀

TTYS,
                    Louis

Frequency Painter
                    Participant

Magnus, just a quick question. Do you think it its the click/attack of the BD that is overpowering or just the BD as a whole. When I lower the level, the groove in the low-end (between the juno, BD and rumble) falls apart. Are the HH/OH ok or also too loud?
                      Cheers mate,
                      Louis

stu brown
                      Participant

Hey Louis, really like your mix, has a real driving kind of Euro Disco vibe to it, dunno if that's actually a genre but hopefully you get what I mean, its good stuff. I listened to mix 1.2 so dunno if that's your new version, but I gotta say I don't have a problem with the drums myself, and certainly don't think there's too much attack on the kick, think it sounds great as is tbh. I'm thinking that some of the more ambient sounds could come up as I find the bass and some other keys are are in the right place volume wise in relation to the drums. Anyway, another fine, creative mix, really glad you had a go at these.
                        Re my mix, I didn't quite understand how there wasn't enough low end at first, sounded ok to me, then stuck it in a frequency analyzer and saw the huge drop off from about 90hz, oops. Whacked on a huge low end boost around 40kh and there was some bottom end. Ha! So thanks again guys. Interesting that Magnus mentioned mixing volumes, I have to mix super quietly due to living in an apartment and maybe that's where my low end problems are coming from cos I can't hear it properly. Something for me to think about.
                        And slightly off topic but good on you Louis for dropping out the Mix Challenge thing. I mean I appreciate what that guy does but his rules are utter bullshit. You rendered at a different sample rate? Who cares?! Like you implied, does the mix sound good or not? If it does, who cares how you get there. And what the hell is pre-mastering? Does that mean nothing is allowed on the master buss? Cos I always mix through stuff on the 2-buss but I still don't know what he means even though he warned me not to do it again and someone else basically accused me of cheating. I sat out the last one cos the song was so terrible, dunno if I'll be back.

Frequency Painter
                        Participant

Hey Stu,

"has a real driving kind of Euro Disco vibe to it,"

I am from Europe ... and yes Euro Disco, sometimes called Italo Disco is a thing 🙂

I think both you and Magnus are right. There's some kind of disconnect in mix 1.2 involving the interaction of the BD with the rest. I concur with your view Stu that in some parts at least, and vis-à-vis some elements, the BD is about right. I'll try and shuffle some things around to come closer to the "ideal" levels. I must say that the concept _is_ a dance floor mix, and the original "song" is supposed to be weaved in and out of the pounding drums. So basically, I don't want to loose the drive and punch of it all. This is what happened to earlier mixes twice. I think the best thing I can do is carefully adjust stuff .1 dB at a time and hear what happens.

"And slightly off topic but good on you Louis for dropping out the Mix Challenge thing."

Don't get me started on this one hahaha. I agree, these rules are utterly stupid and the more rules, the more this guy needs resources to police them. It just wreaks the positive vibe imo. It's striking that the ones complaining about someone not adhering to the rules are the ones who didn't get selected into the 2nd round. It's just such a bitchy thing to do imo. So basically, when you make a great mix and it's -13.9 LUFS, you're out. This is just ridiculous in the light of the fact that famous mixers like Bob Horn clip the master bus to get a loud mix. I wanted to write a reply to spark an honest discussion, but obviously he's so stuck in his "ancient" views that I just left in protest. I'll tell you what, last time I broke all the rules, I triggered the snare drum, cut up and rearranged some instruments, used a fair amount of master bus processing including a stereo widener, the mix was louder than -14LUFS and no one complained, not even the admin. This is proof that there's no means of imposing these rules correctly and consistently other than arbitrarily "accusing" someone of breaking them (except of the obvious things you can measure like loudness, sample rate and bit depth). Apparently this happened to you. No drum triggering allowed, guitar reamping is allowed. What's the difference? No stereo wideners, but M/S processing is, what's the difference? Ah well, if he wants to impose his stupid out-dated rules, he can (and it's probably why his site isn't growing that much). I got what I hoped for, a spot in the 2nd round (a recognition that I did a fairly good mix). That's all I wanted. I wont go back, that's for sure. I've had enough of this inconsequential madness :-))))

Louis

Magnus Emilsson
                          Participant

Hey.

Louis I think it was the mid body more then the click in itself that was too loud. The low end felt ok, but on my system the BD "high" body was so strong it overpowered everything and made all the "instrumentation" sound like they belonged to another track that was starting to fade out. Something weird was going on. I was listening on my cans and on my 6,5" two way hifi speakers, not on the monitors, and they are quite punchy.

/Magnus

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.