Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions Mix Critiques of classic albums or tracks

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jared Sherman.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    auntiebeeb
    Participant

Hi

I have an insatiable appetite for listening to music that is (really, really) well recorded and mixed, I'm a bit of an audiophile (and hi-fi snob!) and have a moderate hi-fi system that I love to get the best from. I find this is where a lot of my inspiration comes from.

I hear Warren talk about the great engineers and producers and the records they've produced and I'd love to hear a guided tutorial on what makes a particular track so exciting or ground breaking. A detailed critique pin pointing some technical aspects of a mix, that creates excitement or energy. Critical listening, is I guess what I'm getting at.

This would help develop our ears, learn how to focus in on sounds and listen to the finer details.Plus, it would help in generating a library of reference tracks to aim for in our mixes.

Cheers!

auntiebeeb
      Participant

By the way, I've just listened to Steely Dan for the first time. Of course, I was aware of them but completely missed their back catalogue! Amazing sounding records!

Stephen Korst
        Participant

Yes!

Colin Kettenacker
          Participant

Plus one one this. Auntiebeeb summed it up nicely.

Steve A
            Participant

Hi Sara, good to meet a fellow audiophile! I think your idea is a good one...
              It could be as simple as what you stated in your first post, but would be 'next level' stuff if it was a track that had similarities with the current PLAPA multitrack.
              Cheers
              -Steve

Jared Sherman
              Participant

Several years ago I had the pleasure of spending an entire day in a very small master class (only about 6 of us gathered in a circle in a studio) with Roger Nichols who famously did all the Steely Dan records. Great experience. Very interesting character for sure. He passed away maybe two years afterward.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.