• This topic has 27 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Paul Motion.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Paul Motion
    Participant

Thanks Kip. Yes.. that EQ is rapidly becoming my favourite. It just sounds good.

With the drums, I’ll admit I added a sample to help with the nose of the kick as that stereo kick is all boom.

I haven’t added the loops and I’m not sure I will. I’m trying to do more reductive mixing… so only adding things if it’s serving what I want and actively cutting stuff out. I’m not using that monster kick at the beginning or the marching snare at the end either.

I’m in 2 minds about the mandolin.. having trouble placing that in the mix honestly. And haven’t processed the electric guitars at all. Not sure they need it beyond cutting some of the low end.

lots to do!!

Arthur Labus

Acoording to our fellow Jesper it is 114 BPM.
        Probably this is correct as i plyed drums for a remix 😉
        BTW i am setting up the project !

Paul Motion
        Participant

Magic, thanks Arthur. Excited to hear what you do with this… 🙂

Paul Motion
          Participant

Ok.. spent a few more hours tweaking and automating. I feel like the vocal is too loud and the toms are a bit weak.
            I added a Waves Puigtec EQP-1A to the master bus for my 7th plugin.
            Any feedback gratefully received…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GIGWv2LP4x7yveWuAhnb43ADyCQgglfv/view?usp=drivesdk

Kip
            Participant

Paul i really like where you put the vocal level in the mix toms too..in fact as i listen balance i  would be very happy were this mine.

i was ab,ing between marc's mix just just to check...i thought maybe your mix could use more presence? or high end?...i am not good at eq ...its like how i type i just hunt and peck. same with EQ frequencies.

https://soundcloud.com/produce-like-a-pro/jeremiah-jones-take-my-lonely-mixed-by-marc-daniel-nelson

i bet with just a few pultec slight boosts small ones (on the master bus have one 10k and another do 3 or 5 or something like that)  ....like treating it as a master?

thats the only thing i could find

Paul Motion
              Participant

Thanks so much for the feedback Kip. I’ll take a look. I’ll do an A/B with Marcs mix as well.. just for shits and giggles. Can be dangerous as I may well end up tweaking myself into a blackhole! 🤣🤣

Hope a few more peeps join in on the next one, would love to hear how others go about this..

Kip
                Participant

i hope others will join too...i should have picked an easier challenge maybe?

Paul Motion
                  Participant

Nah, I think this was a good one. Harked back to the days of having limited gear. I might have allowed a bus compressor and limiter, outside of the magnificent 7 maybe.

A good challenge would be stock plugins with your DAW. I’m sure that’s fairly standard. Depends on the track that’s picked really.

Paul Motion
                    Participant

Updated mix. Did an A/B with Marcs mix that was in the session and made some tweaks. Not 100% along the same lines as Marcs mix but I'm certainly happier with mine now. Thanks Kip for the pointers 🙂
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/12RO1Trq6xG10lRiR-ZK7Ewszittq67EW/view?usp=sharing

Kip
                      Participant

yeah that is close enough for the girls i go out with....no really good work man was grooving to it.

Paul Motion
                        Participant

Thanks Kip. Bring on the next challenge!!

Arthur Labus

Here we go again ...
                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W73aqDJY4_3lHMIgyu-hSwXtlOGw4pIi/view?usp=sharing

Decided to use the Plugin Alliance Lindell plugins: 6X-500 preamp/filter, PEX-500 pultec style EQ and 7X-500 FET compressor on every instrument group (yes, i was lazy).
                            For vocals i used Toneboosters Sibilance v3 de-esser and on main vocal Relab LX480 reverb (960 vocal plate) exclusively.
                            On master bus:
                            TDR VoS SlickEQ twice 😀
                            PA Lindel 6X-500 with hi/low pass
                            TDR Kotelnikov compressor
                            Toneboosters Sibilance v3 de-esser
                            Toneboosters Barricade v3 limiter

It works for me, that sound is ok - lush and dreamy kind, straight from the 80's sort of. Not exactly my cup of green tea but great experience as always.
                            Limiting on few plugins give me one of kind focus and its really quick work then.
                            I only wish there would be not so many tracks. I would rather go with significant less tracks next times.

Have fun, thanks for a ride !

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 28 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.