• This topic has 121 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Kip.
Viewing 12 posts - 73 through 84 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sweet
    Participant

Wow Toby, super creative! and the fundamentals are solid! I miss the harmonies on the chorus honestly but overall really nice work man!

Tobi
      Keymaster

Thanks Chris. Really tried to work the basics hard. Felt it needed to be her voice alone in the choruses to contrast the mess of voices in the rest of the song. Harmonies are blended in low. Maybe could come up a touch - I'll have another listen.

Tobi
        Keymaster

...that's because you're used to the vast emptiness of deep space, Kiptain Kirk 😉

I backed the reverb off, again and again with this one. I do edge towards v. dry vocals... trying to add a little more reverb in recent mixes.

In general, I like to feel FXs, rather than hear them.

Agreed... I learned loads. I'll put together a playlist, if everyone is happy with their mixes. Maybe we could swing some feedback from Warren.

Tobi.

Chewie
          Participant

Nice one Toby! Interesting all the way through. I like the blend/switch of dark and bright vocal tones, and the stops in the coda or middle 8 are great!

Question: Do you assemble all the parts and then mix, or do you mix as you go?

I agree, Echoboy is amazing! 🙂

Tobi
            Keymaster

Nice crunchy guitars in intro. Vocals sound great! Nice sustain tone... real quality.

Chorus comes in a little easy maybe... depends what you're going for... verse 1 to chorus 1 to verse 2 to chorus 2 builds very nicely... so I can hear what you were going for and it makes sense. Overall build across the whole song, rather than slamming those choruses in. Nice idea!

Really nice punch to the drums. Drums are good for me, when you can 'hear' point / hit of the drumstick. And you have that here - really nicely done.

Maybe just lacks that little extra drive in the final chorus / automation to bring out more dynamics & detail. But the overall feel of the mix is very professional, very well put together. Work of the highest quality.

Tobi.

Tobi
              Keymaster

Love the detail on the guitar in the intro. Really nice 'breath' to the vocal in the reverb. ..maybe gets lost / clashes a touch, when the mix gets busier. Feature it or lose it in the busier parts - but I love the FX - really subtle work!

Feels like we're all struggling to get the choruses to drive in. I know I did.

The EQ has a really natural feel to it. Lot of years of experience at work there. Pleasure to listen to 🙂

Mix feels a touch 'Collapsed' in on itself. Which I find always happens on Soundcloud. I've taken to working almost too much space into the mix, so it comes together after the Psychoacoustic-Shenanigans uploading to Soundcloud.

Feels like that's the main issue here. The Soundcloud conversion has brought the mix in on itself too much. Fabfilter Pro Q middle / side option is very useful for opening up space in a mix.

Great stuff! V. enjoyable!

Tobi.

Chewie
                Participant

Sounds good, I tried to do a revision, adjusted vocal eq and volume, and the mix fell apart. I'm stumped.
                  Learned a lot from this, which is the main focus.

Tobi
                  Keymaster

Thanks Chewie!

I start drums, bass, vocals (not always in that order). Try to get the core elements working and check the dynamics.

I separate the vocals up, based on how the singer 'delivers the line' (filmmaking background / don't know musical term). Check the Screenshot below of the vocals for Little Empire's Bullet (follow them on Spotify!). Breaking the vocals up, helps me understand the structure of the song.

Then I work the basic dynamics / EQ of the other instruments. Replace / add / mute / reverse / pitch shift / modulate / automate / saturate / warp / mangle / chop / edit / mess up the instruments, based on whatever I hear in my head.

Most of the mixing is done at the end. Though I will mix certain elements, if I need to hear how they're working. It protracted, trial and error based and very much about listening to the song and letting it tell you where to go.

I don't set out to change mixes - as nuts as that may sound. I just listen to the song over and over again, and match the mix to what I hear in my head. Sometimes it changes a lot (i.e. my Locked Up Mix). Sometimes hardly at all (i.e. my California Mix).

The most important thing is to never force or contrive the mix. Don't get clever. The changes should be driven by emotion. Feel it, don't think it.

Tobi.

Chewie
                    Participant

Sounds great overall, just noticing in the vocal that the D's T's are quite loud compared to the esses. The 'Memory' part is cool too! Very nice mix.

Chewie
                      Participant

A nice 'airy' mix, with great detail. Vocals are great, but heard some plosives in the intro. I think they are around 175 ish or lower. Now this is just my taste, the snare sounds a bit too compressed and clicky, and the kick needs some 'boeuf' around 60. Great sound overall, I enjoyed listening. 🙂

Chewie
                        Participant

Thanks Toby! One of these days, I'll try some cool stuff like that. Maybe on the next PLAP mix? Of course I would need your permission to take on such a task. 😉

Chewie
                          Participant

Can there be only one?

Viewing 12 posts - 73 through 84 (of 122 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.