• This topic has 121 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Kip.
Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Maurice Beekman
    Participant

Sounds great. I agree on the vocals being to far away (in the verses). At 1.33 i can hear the vocals switch from track.
      Great snare. Listening to all the versions, i guess mixing the vocals is the tricky part.

Tobi
      Keymaster

Chewie,

Nice and loud 🙂 Guitars are bright and upfront. Kick is nice and thumpy (technical term).

Blend on the guitars is nice as the chorus hits (no idea how I'm working that yet).

Would like a little auto / fax to bring out the dynamics of the vocals in the 2nd verse - but the overall feel is very good.

Snare can feel a little blunt/flat in places - but again - the overall feel is very good.

Dynamics in general, the mix feels very pushed.

More detail in the outro from the guitar would be good - to bring out the different guitars.

Devil's in the detail with this one. The overall mix is right where it should be. Feels like it could do with some EQ auto to bring out the separate guitars more. Maybe the snare is being masked in places..? It just those little finishing touches for me. Very solid job. Good strong mix.

Tobi.

Maurice Beekman
        Participant

Wow, nice! Amazing what you did you with the vocals. I found some time to start my version of this mix (couldn't resist) but mixing the vocals is a really hard to keep it even. Strange things happen in the raw vocal tracks to my ears. But you nailed it.

Great idea to mix with only a few plugins. Forces you to understand the plugins in stead of using and tweaking presets and stacking plugins until the systems can't handle it anymore. And listening to your mix and the others proves it's possible to make a great mix only using the most essentials tools.

My mix yet to be published...

Maurice Beekman
          Participant

I will you this info also, if you don't mind 🙂

Tobi
            Keymaster

Chris dropping the science knowledge bombs on us - boom!

Rev2: Guitar tone is great. Like the stereo placement. Vocals have a nice 'raspy' / 'breathy' feel to them. Drums are deep and full (like chocolate hippos).

Enough going on in the centre at the beginning of Verse 2? Maybe / Maybe not.

Vocal blend is great in the choruses.

Are the vocals a touch too upfront at the beginning of the breakdown? (after 2nd chorus)

Once again, your choruses are f*cking great! Like the hits in the outro - nice. Oooo... guitar sustain FX at the end (ala Spinal Tap - niiiiiiiice)

Beginning or the 2nd verse and beginning of the Breakdown - not 100% sure. Everything else is really, really very good.

I think 2nd verses are your kryptonite. Tends to be there, you have your problems.

...I use 'problem' in a relative sense. The problem areas of your mixes, are better than the best parts, of most other people's mixes.

Tobi.

Chris Sweet
              Participant

Thanks Andy! And thanks for the screenshot. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Not sure about the bass. Gotta test in the car again. It's definitely bass heavy, but I've been digging the powerful bottom end lately, especially with female pop stuff. I think it might balance out the otherwise top heavy spectrum. I don't know lol.

Chris Sweet
                Participant

Toby, what a cool insight about my second verses. I think you're on to something. I think I tend to nail the start, and nail the chorus, nail the ending, but being lazy and ADD I tend to neglect the second verse. It's the unwanted step child of every song LOL.

Chris Sweet
                  Participant

Hey guys, would anyone be interested in a mix breakdown video? I want to add some content to my otherwise content-less YouTube channel lol. This was such a cool experiment I suspect an audience might want to see what can be done with a challenging song and 7 plugins. I have 12 subscribers LOL and I need to satisfy them ?

Kip
                    Participant

would love a breakdown vid

Tobi
                      Keymaster

Mix Breakdown would be cool.

I do one myself, but it there'd be so much f**king about, it'd have to be a trilogy and only Peter Jackson could direct something that would drag on that much 😉

Kip
                        Participant

lol honestly toby i would love to find out how you get there ...

Chris Sweet
                          Participant

I always picture Toby wearing lab glasses like Nikolai Tesla, surrounded by lightening.

Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 122 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.