Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Pro Mix Academy Amanda Hardy - "Love Me I'm Rich" Love Me I'm Rich (Mixed by Mark Warner / LJE Music)

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Mark Warner.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark Warner
    Participant

Update - I took this down as I found artifacts in the render. Some turned out to be in the vocal track around 21 seconds so they have been operated on but more seriously I found a routing error that had fed the bass and drums back through the guitar bus compressor which messed up the balance a lot when this was fixed as Drums, Bass and Transitional sound gained +4db. So an additional 4 hours has to go onto the time for finding, fixing and remixing and then making another master.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This mix has taken far longer than it should have. I know I made one mistake in the beginning in not gain staging the instrument tracks down further to -18db and because of that I was constantly struggling for headroom. Anyway...in this mix I wanted to create drama and chaos, especially at the end. Sonically I wanted to do a more modern mix following observations on my Good Lovin' mix which was quite dark (deliberately), I wanted to try something a little brighter. "Love Me I'm Rich" reminded me slightly of Suede's "Pantomime Horse" in the chord structure and guitar parts, so I took some inspiration from that. Although the bass sound owes more to Peter Hook than Suede. I also thought the vocal verses could borrow from The Flying Lizards version of "Money" given the subject of the song.

https://soundcloud.com/lejardinelectronique/amanda-hardy-love-me-im-rich-mixed-by-mark-warner-lje-music-revised

Time
      Setup 30 Minutes
      Inst Mix 2.5 hours
      Vocal Mix 2.5 hours
      2nd Mix 4 hours
      3rd Mix 2 hours
      4th Mix 2 hours
      5th Mix 1 hour
      6th mix 1.5 hours
      7th mix and fake master 4 hours
      ----
      8th Mix 4 hours - Fixing routing error, removing clicks in the vocal, re-balancing and re-mixing plus new master.

So now 24 hours in total and I am happier now than I was until mix 7. I knew there was an issue but I just couldn't find it until I hit mute on the master bus and half the track kept playing. There were two routing errors. This is one problem that Reaper has. If you use folders as subs and buses then you must get the end file right otherwise the error cascades through the tracks below and it's not easy to spot the error.

• This topic was modified 7 years ago by Mark Warner.
      • This topic was modified 7 years ago by Mark Warner. Reason: Added Soundcloud link
      • This topic was modified 7 years ago by Mark Warner. Reason: Taken Soundcloud link off temporarilly
      • This topic was modified 7 years ago by Mark Warner. Reason: Posted revised version
      • This topic was modified 7 years ago by Mark Warner.
      Warren Huart
      Keymaster

Hi Mark, I love the vocal effects! The grinding Bass tone is wonderful! The panning lead guitar at the end was fantastic! Definitely an extremely well balanced mix, personally I hear more heavy guitars on the song, but this interpretation is fantastic!! That's the beauty of us all creating our own vision! Wonderful work!! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren´╗┐

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Warren Huart.
        Mark Warner
        Participant

Thanks Warren, it makes the hours of effort and second guessing worthwhile to know that it's going in the right direction.
          Cheers Mark

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Mark Warner.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.