Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Announcements Live Q&A 6/22/16

• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Warren Huart.
Viewing 8 posts - 13 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jim Gahagan
    Participant

I have a question on mic pre's I see alot of pre's that have gain & output knobs. but like the api 312 just has input gain like my focusrite scarlett. how important if you work ITB is this feature? is it because most studios use faders on the desk to control output that it is not important to have?

Thanks,
      Jim

Loren Knight
      Participant

Repeating a question from the Pete Lyman video: Quick question on the tape machine. Could you explain "proper test tones" and what they are used for? Is it for tape speed matching? I gather, however, from Pete's comments that maybe if you don't have real tape user/operator experience and you want that tape sound you'd be better off using a plug-in.

Warren Huart
        Keymaster

Great question! Test tones are printed on the tracks at the beginning of the tape, so each one of the 24 tracks has for instance a 1k test tone that should be printed at 0db. It was typical to use that to set up the line inputs on your console. A range of tones from 100hz-1k-10k etc printed on the tape all at 0db should read the same on each machine it's played on. I hope that helps? Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Warren Huart
          Keymaster

Wow! Kiddie proofing! I'm sure I've been able to do that at all! I just watch my youngest like a hawk! Haha She is nearly 2 years old and gets into everything! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Mark Warner
            Participant

I photograph any important knob settings with the camera on my phone so I can look up the settings. The studio is a kid magnet and they love knobs and faders. At the same time I want them to be used to being around one so I don't want to put them off by being all "don't touch" all the time.

Warren Huart
              Keymaster

Hi Mark, agreed, cell phones have transformed the ability to recall!! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Rich Westphal
                Participant

Hahaha,,, !!! Warren that is the best sentence pun I've heard in a while,,, lol,,,

"cell phones have transformed the ability to recall"

lol,,, and true !!! .. Perfect !!!

Warren Huart
                  Keymaster

Haha! It's crazy to see who the whole world is so influenced by the cell phone! Have a marvellous time making music! Creativity is King! Many thanks Warren

Viewing 8 posts - 13 through 20 (of 20 total)
                  • The topic ‘Live Q&A 6/22/16’ is closed to new replies.