Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Pro Mix Academy Little Empire Night Falls (Mixed by Tobi v9)

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Tobi.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

Uh Oh... It's the Produce Like A Pro Big promotional Ar*sehole!

Version 9. Thanks to Arthur and Jeppe for the feedback - helped to see the wood for the trees.

https://soundcloud.com/toby-davis-925439564/little-empire-nightfalls-mixed-by-tobi-v9

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by Tobi.
      Arthur Labus

Hi Toby,

gimme that d**n kick man !
        The only apologise i would accept - it is now Enzo's kick πŸ˜‰
        I think you need more drums in general there to support the hot driving bass.

It is close Toby ...

Tobi
        Keymaster

Huh... a drummer wants more drums. Maybe a touch more kick, but I quite like it the way it is... I might rework it a touch more - but it's reached that - easier to make it worse, than better stage πŸ™‚

Arthur Labus

Ok, i can live with that statement πŸ˜‰

Jesper
            Participant

You are welcome Mr. Produce Like A Pro Big promotional Ar*sehole! πŸ˜‰ Its always good to promote this fantastic band! I think the whole PLAPA community loves them! I do anyway...

You never ask for a mix review but you get one here anyway!..hope you don't mind;-)

Lots a subs here in my living room! Maybe a snippet to much to my taste, I don't know I don't have a perfect room or hearing but anyway.. Nice featured riff guitar before the last chorus, and I think you're mix really come alive from there. ItΒ΄s great how the guitar riff comes first and then the tambourine/ claps and then the outro is genius! I would try to make thats kind of scenery changes all thru the song. I think what IΒ΄m saying is that I want that clarity and focus all thru the song on different instruments. Maybe you can find a sweetspot for the lead vocal thats stays present (I think its a little bit to low volume now, or just lack clarity) and feature the different instrumental melodies when it needs to? I really like that verb and overall feeling of you're mix Tobi! Keep up the promo work and indeed a great mix! Well done Tobi! πŸ™‚

Cheers!

Jesper

Tobi
              Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback. It's a busy mix. More so than I'd usually do, but that feels more like Little Empire than my usually stripped down mixes.

The subs are tricky, not least 'cos I don't have a sub. I've reduced them a lot in this version - maybe more. The vocal is quite 'up' on my system. But I'm not used to mixing with the Genelecs, yet. I find it hard to pick the vocal and bass levels.

Some of the mid range clarity has been squeezed out of the mix by Soundcloud. I'll have to go back and work those EQs a little harder. Try to get it to translate to soundcloud.

Awesome band! Love 'em so much!

Thanks again!

Tobi.

Kip
                Participant

nice job toby i like the soft organ sound and distorted guitar at 3:15 or so are good ...i never get good distorted guitars and i would totally be happy with those
                  great work man

Tobi
                  Keymaster

Distorted Guitar is set thru a parallel FX to UAD Studer A800 Tape Emulation and slammed to cheddar. Then blended with the 'dry' signal to taste.

First time I did it - v. happy with results πŸ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.