Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Laptops

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by face (chris) Janton.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark Holden
    Participant

Hello

Toying with the idea of getting a laptop this year and I really know nothing about what I'm looking for in this field so if anyone has pointers or links to share to get me on the right track that would be great.

I'm thinking use it for tracking so run the DAW for recording and mix it on the desk top.

Mark

face (chris) Janton
      Participant

Start with deciding what kind of audio interface will you be using, DAW preference, operating system preference if you have one.
        I do my live recording with a Behringer XR18, iPad running Auria for 24-track recording. I use my laptop or a tablet to run the mixer.

What do you plan to record?

Mark Holden
        Participant

Hi there Chris

Initially I'm planning on recording acoustic guitars and vocal. I would then be doing electrics amps and DI. I'm using a PreSonus audiobox at the moment only a two channel interface. So recording would be done in several takes. I will be using Studio one 4 and probably stay with windows.

That's interesting that your using an ipad as well as the laptop, my thinking was if I'm going to get an iPad I might as well go for the laptop instead so I could run the DAW outright and miss out the capture stage using an ipad and then transfering files for further mixing.

Mark

face (chris) Janton
          Participant

Sometimes when I am using my iPad I plug in my PreSonus AudioBox iTwo - works great in Auria, GarageBand. The iPad also make a handy "extra screen" for Studio One - I have the Pro version of Studio One.

The PreSonus "tablet" tools are decent...

Entry-Level iPad with decent storage is "attractively" priced. I have tried low-cost Android tablets and they make me want to throw the against the wall. Kindle FireHD tablets are a tiny bit better, but still ungainly and not "fluid".

The music software on iOS is quite astonishing.

Mark Holden
            Participant

Hello

I will have to look into to this further, Iwas think for the price of one and could just go for the laptop but the ipad was my first thought to do this 🙂

Mark

face (chris) Janton
              Participant

In order to use USB MIDI/recording devices on most iPads you need to have the "Camera Connection Kit" which is a USB to Lightning port adapter. Plug in to a USB hub and you can have audio interface and MIDI keyboards attached at the same time.

The newest iPad Pro ($1000!) has a USB-C connection.

The "low-end" iPad is $329.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.