• This topic has 27 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Mervyn Walker.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Arthur Labus

@patrik-larsson
      I agree in general with Paul. Speaking of "reverb balance" - it feels like there is a big gap between vocals and some instrumenst being almost dry.
      I like the kick 😀 However, the bass guitar is a bit lost. It is always subjective feel in this genre. Some might like exactly this, bass being like canvas for everything else.
      Also my observation while mixing my version: Guitars are tricky 😉 In places the electrics are loud, in other places the acoustic is saying "all after me!".
      It feels like you could do some little adjustments here as well.
      Ok, you set the bar pretty high already Patrik !

Arthur Labus

@mark-lowrie
        Hey man, welcome to the show 😀
        I like what you did here. It fits in general. However, it feels like the vocals are overpowering the instruments, so i can't really tell more about instruments.
        The tucked acoustic works fine with the electrics more upfront. It seems like everything is really fine, just the vocals, backings in particular, are bit too powerful.
        As always very subjective feel ...
        Great work Mark !

Arthur Labus

@mervyn-walker
          You are welcome !
          Oh yes, our internal challenges are restrictive. I wanted to have the same tools so i choosed Toneboosters legacy. Thats the story 😀
          I like your mix.
          Vocals are very upfront, however "just right" whenn all kicks in.
          I am missing the bass a little.
          And yes - the string squeaks are a bit disturbing. I used the compressor with "transients killer" preset and it helped. A little ...
          Maybe someone has a better idea for that ?
          Good job Mervyn !

Paul Motion
          Participant

@mark-lowrie

agree to a point with Arthur on the vocals. I can check on my phone but is there a widening plugin in the pack? Sounds like that’s on the vocals, or maybe a slight haas effect….

I heard some odd distortion on the vocal, mainly noticed on the entry to the first bridge. It might have been mouth noises though.

I’m losing the kick a bit here and there but that might be due to the presence of the vocals.

The BVs are louder than the lead vocal at the end. Not sure if that was intentional though. The guitars are pretty noisy, so you might need a bit more automation although I think you mentioned you hadn’t gotten to that point yet so feel free to ignore that 🙂

Really great to have you a part of this Mark!

Patrik Larsson
            Participant

Hello.

Next version I've tried to do the changes from Paul and Arthurs feedback hopefully its for the better.

I also done automation on several tracks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmjhq67hpr1h62g/Katie%20Ferrara%20-%20Run%20To%20You%20Mixed%20by%20Patrik%20Larsson%20V3.wav?dl=0

Later today I will have A listen to the other tracks here, very excited to here them.

Cheers!

/Patrik

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Patrik Larsson.
              Patrik Larsson
              Participant

@mark-lowrie

I do agree with both Arthur and Paul about the vocals being overpowering and also the bv´s.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

/Patrik

Patrik Larsson
                Participant

@mervyn-walker

I like this, something things for me is that BV is kinda loud for me but that is me.

Also I agree about the string squeaks is a bit disturbing

Great job

Cheers

/Patrik

Thorsten Golder
                  Participant

Hello,

as I know the legacy Toneboosters very well as I bought them as a bundle with a reduced price years back when they were not yet free I really liked the opportunity to participate, which is the first time for me here as I joined just a few days ago. 🙂

I actually like the Tonebooster plugins quite a lot as they sound good and are really easy on the CPU.

So there are some challenges in this song, especially with the noise on the guitar, did not handle it much though. Would really be interested what you think about the mix and looking forward for any feedback.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rKtm4QDCTBTcXA_h5rd_72kFQrXBtRYC/view?usp=sharing

Arthur Labus

@patrik-larsson
                      Just enjoyed your new mix. i mean i enjoyed it 😉 Great work Patrik !

Arthur Labus

@thorsten-golder

Oh yes, that acoustic guitar was driving me nuts too 😉

I must say , your mix also very acoustic "heavy" : ac guitar is relatively upfornt and bright. So those squeacks are coming a bit "brutal" LOL
                        I personally reduced the transients on acoustic guitar and used several de-esser. Needles to say, its still there, but the guitar is more warm and dark with the electrics supporting - so i am kind happy with (mix is not ready yet)

All in all, thats it. Good work Thorsten !
                        Very happy to find another guy liking Toneboosters plugins 😀

Arthur

Thorsten Golder
                        Participant

I think "brutal" describes it actually pretty good 🙂
                          Using several de-essers sounds like a good idea, will try that.

Paul Motion
                          Participant

Nice work @patrik-larsson… live the acoustic sound, I think that works well for me.

vocals are a little verby and I’m losing the kick a little here and there but a really enjoyable mix!

good work 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 28 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.