Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions How to Keep your Studio Clean and Well Maintained

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bentleyferrari.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bentleyferrari
    Participant

Dust. Dust in the studio. Dust on the gear, dust on the instruments, dust in the computers, dust on the console, dust on the controllers. How to deal with the dust.

Proper cable storage. Scheduled maintenance on instruments and outboard gear. Testing equipment.

File management best practices.

Backup software, backup hardware, backup best practices.

Christopher Feeney
      Participant

Dust. Yes, electronics seem to be dust magnets. Other than dusting and blowing with canned air as needed, the biggest thing I found helps is keeping my air filters in my HVAC system clean. Stop the dust before it gets there!

Cables: I have a small home studio. As I got into recording, DAWS and added gear, I discovered I was spending a lot of time getting ready or "hooked up" to record or play or practice. So in 2014-2015 I focused on a set-up that was ready to go. Cables: Out and handing on a hook with easy visual access.

Mark Warner
        Participant

I keep a Dyson vacume in the studio, the one that is good for people with allergies as the filters are very good in these.

Also beside patch bays which make setting up and reconfiguring very quick and simple, I also use a number of rack and compact mixers. For example all my rack synths go into a Soundcraft Spirit 16fx and I then use the main output as bus or sub into another compact mixer which then feeds the Presonus 1818vsl converter. My stage synths go via a Peavey 14 and drums another and vocals another. In this way I can use the 8 line ins in the Presonus in pairs and switch which instruments or mics or groups are routed to any given pair. It may sound complicated but it means all instruments, mic etc are permanently setup and it's just matter of unmuting instrument combinations to record them. It also means that everything has its own analogue EQ and effects available as well inserts for other out boards devices like compressors for example. This sort of gives me what I had when I used an Allen and Heath 24 8 2 desk and a Tascam 38 but everything is so much smaller than those massive desks and machines.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Mark Warner.
          Tobi
          Keymaster

Re : Cable management. Labeling my spare midi cables by length. Now I know how long each one is, before I unwrap them - simple bliss 🙂

Mark Warner
            Participant

Cable Management - My Top Tip

Old habits die hard - Back when I was using big desks and tape machines at home or in a studio, time was money. It would cost far more to hold up a recording session for lack of the right cable if an odd one was needed for a piece of equipment brought in by an artist or because one choose that exact moment to become faulty. So we would keep long cable spares and plugs that could be cut up and remade quickly.

Reading Toby's comment above reminded me that I still do this. I hate having cables too long or, even worse, too short. So when I add a new piece of equipment I make cables to the exactly length then there is no excess cable laying around. Isn't this wasteful and expensive you might ask? No, quite the opposite. When I order a new piece of equipment from a supplier like Thomann for instance, I always add some extra cables to the order such as their 10m XLRs. This saves on postage. I buy bulk bags of Neutrik connectors from RS components, Farnels or Studio Spares which brings the costs down. It allows me to make any combination of cable for a fraction of the price of a pre made one. For example 20 .5m patch leads end up costing me about £1.25 each instead about £3 minimum plus I get the exact length with no wastage as I use whatever is left over to make another cable. Even really short pieces will get reused as part of an insert lead (Y lead).

bentleyferrari
              Participant

Thanks guys! Good tips. And just bought a patchbay to make life easier. Kind of interesting, I found a guy who restores older industrial strength patch bays and rigs them to your specs for a very reasonable price. Mister Patchbay

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.