Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions How to deal with your own insecurity and self-doubt?

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hcmgmusicdude.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anders Isberg
    Participant

The technical and creative sides of producing and mixing is of course very important. The biggest problem I have is not learning the mechanics of it all, but rather fighting my lack of confidence and belief that I have no business being in the business in the first place. I convince myself that I'm not talented or accomplished enough to be doing this for a living. I'm definitely my own biggest enemy when it come to making a real career in music. So, how do you deal with and overcome your own insecurity and doubt in your ability?

Steve A
      Participant

This is a great topic.

TGMIX
        Participant

There is a great book/audiobook by Steven Pressfield called "The War Of Art: Winning The Inner Creative Battle" that might interest anyone regarding this topic.

Anders Isberg
          Participant

I thought so Steve. Warren has touched on the subject in his videos. My experience is that this is a recurring theme among people in the creative arts. The big difference seems to be the way we handle it, and if we can find a way to work around it.

Thanks Tom, I'll check out that book. Sounds very interesting.

auntiebeeb
            Participant

I believe this is a common problem for lots of people in any field of work that have a desire to succeed. I think it's called "The Imposter Syndrome"and it's something that I can certainly relate to. I tend to feel overwhelmed the more I read/ watch and think there's no way I'm ever going to get all this! Then battle with the self doubt as you have mentioned.

As I say, I think it's pretty common for a lot of people but the thing is, to just keep going. It gets less of a thing with time and some good feedback. What's the alternative? To give up...? No way 🙂

I might check out that book too.

Good topic.

hcmgmusicdude

For me, insecurity and self-doubt are a by-product of my fears. Fear holds us back from doing all the things we really want to do in life. It’s the fear of failing that eats at our insides and says “no, you can’t do that”. It stops us from pushing the ‘send’ button when we want to make a comment (like now). It stops us from doing whatever it is we desire to do that comes from deep within us, especially art because it's so personal.

In the music world, fear of failure is synonymous with fear of rejection. Rejection is the one thing musicians, songwriters or mixing engineers/producers fear the most. It’s the one thing no one wants to face. Personally, I hate rejection. The problem is, rejection and failure is what leads to success. You have to get past it. You have to endure it. You just have to tell yourself “I don’t give a damn” and just do it and it's not easy.

Life will always have its ups and downs, you can’t eliminate those. However, you can eliminate fear of failure by just refusing to fear failing. The more times you fail, the more times you will succeed. Eventually success wins out. I have much more to say on the subject, but I fear I may be rejected for making such a long comment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.