Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing High pass filter for BASS

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Mark Holden.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Holden
    Participant

Hello

Just wondering how people use the high pass filter when mixing bass.
      As the filter is used to remove unwanted sound below (x)Hz, so if you mix using a DI for low end and amp for high end then a third track for some dirt/saturation. Would you apply the HP to the bus of the three tracks or add some HP to the DI and dirt track as the high end would already have a HP on it.

Mark

Erik Duijs
      Participant

Personally I would apply the HP to the bus and not individual tracks.
        I don't know if that's the best way, but my thinking is that I create the mix of the (in your case 3) channels to a bus to get the overall bass sound that I like, and then use a HPF on the bus to make it all work with the kick if necessary.

Cheers,
        Erik

Mark Holden
        Participant

Hello Erik

Thanks, after reading your thoughts it reminds me that, whats counts is how it sounds with the other elements. So the bus is where I was leaning to as well. I'd been watching the EQ compression course and for the examples its single tracks for bass etc but all the elements are High passed before starting work on "a sound" so I guess the bus becomes the element were the HP would help sit the bass better with Kick etc. (unless there's anything that simply needs removing before starting)

Thanks again you've help me think that through better.

Mark

Erik Duijs
          Participant

No problem Mark, I like talking about this stuff 🙂

As an aside, I also found that in other cases such as multi-mic'ed kicks that I often get better results just getting them in balance and treat them as one in a bus (EQ, compression etc). Perhaps an explanation is that this prevents phase issues caused by EQ from separate sources, not sure.
            For bass though, I usually still use 1 of the tracks for the bottom-end and get the grit and growl etc from another (high-passed) track to keep consistency in the very bottom end. I also tend to keep the option open to just use one source, for example if the bass player has a great sound in his amp (or a terrible one, in which case I could just go with the DI and go from there).
            But I find managing low-end always a difficult thing and often I just fiddle around until I feel it works, so YMMV of course 🙂

Cheers,
            Erik

Mark Holden
            Participant

Thanks again all useful to know 🙂

Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.