Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Good computers for mixing/music recording and production

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Tim Morris.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rhcpbrs
    Participant

Hello everyone I'm looking to get a new computer for music. I'd love to hear what you guys have and how happy you are with it and how it holds up to the needs of your music projects. If you could please also include the amount of ram, hard drive info, your cpu type, your daw and anything else you feel is relevant.

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by rhcpbrs.
      Andrew Mckenzie
      Participant

Wow that question is like asking how long is a piece of string 🙂

I think no matter whether you are buying a PC or a Mac, try to get as much memory as you can afford and the fastest CPU along with it. The biggest improvement that I have noticed comes with SSD hard drives, yes you really shouldn't be using traditional spinning hard drives if at all possible, except for data storage.

Don't think it really matters which DAW you use, they will all benefit from a decent spec machine. As a rough guide for a PC, I would aim for an i7 CPU with at least 16GB of memory and at least one SSD (even better to use more than one).

If your a geek like me and hate too much noise (and have some money to burn), then look at a water cooling system as it really does reduce the noise in a quiet environment.

Having said all that, I also track and mix using a moderate spec laptop with 8GB of memory and an SSD HDD as well, depends on your DAW and how much processing and tracks etc... you plan on dealing with.

I'm sure there are plenty of others that can chime in and provide some more direction if you still need more info.

Cheers...Andrew

rhcpbrs
        Participant

Thanks for your reply! I understand this is a big question but I just wanted to take a poll of what people are actually using to make music. To get an idea of what really works. I know more RAM is always better, any better piece is going to make it better, etc... But I'm just trying to see what has worked for everyone.

Warren Huart
          Keymaster

Great question! Definitely a HUGE answer! I have an old Mc Book Pro with 8gb of RAM that runs Pro Tools 10 happily, an Air that does the same, plus a Tower with 32 gb of RAM I use to run my HD system! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Tim Morris
            Participant

Hi, Im using a Mac mini i7, 2.3Ghz, 16G Ram,with Studio One latest version.

On startup of S1 it sticks on the "soundset" load for a minute or so, after that its fine.

I dint have SSD but its a good upgrade I think.

Not had any real problems, regular tracking of 15-30 tracks audio and VST.

Good luck !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.