Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Getting that upfront vocal

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Patrick Schindler.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Ruby
    Participant

I have a client that wants this type of vocal on their track. I am really close but still not quite there.
      I have been trying to break down how their getting this to be so out front and as loud as the snare. I am hearing a slapback during the verse then the chorus sounds like over all increase in music and the vocal then gets a longer delay tail but still sits right in your face. I feel I am close but still missing something. I am posting a link to the song/video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Zj2RgNyj0

I also am including a loop of the chorus I am working on. My ears are open here for any help.

I look forward to your ideas on how they are achieving this and where I am on this mix.

I also notice how their mix is so dull sounding. Very little highs. Interesting.
      DR

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by David Ruby.
      Patrick Schindler
      Participant

If you have any reverb on that vocal at all, increasing the pre-delay should get the vocal a little bit more upfront.

The main thing for right in your face vocals is compression with fast release though. 1176 style compressors with fastest release are very popular for this. If you use an 1176 emulation, remember that the numbers are backwards, as in 7 is fastest release / attack and 1 is slowest. The fastest release on an 1176 is 50 milliseconds by the way, but not every compressor you can dial in a 50 ms release may sound like an 1176 with the release on 7, especially if they are more of an RMS type compressor.

One thing to keep in mind is that any breaths, lip smacks and what not probably get amplified using such a fast release, so you may have to clean all that stuff up.

David Ruby
        Participant

Thanks Patrick. That's just what the DR ordered. 1176 in the house. It just wasn't feeling right but I believe this should work great. : )

Patrick Schindler
          Participant

My pleasure, David! If you are generally happy with what the current compressor is doing to the vocals, just strap the 1176 right at the end of it and let them all share the load. I like stacking compressors, especially for vocals and have three go to ones ready to go in my template. It usually comes down to a VCA, followed by an opto or vari-mu and finally a 1176 if needed. If your 1176 clone has a side-chain filter to let the stuff below 220Hz or so through, that can help with a thick vocal. Mix knobs are great, too. I love the mix knobs! My favorite comp for this duty is actually The Rocket by Stillwell, which looks nothing like an 1176, but acts somewhat like one after getting some bionic implants, a ridiculous amount of plastic surgery and loads of roids.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.