Academy Dashboard Forum Production Production Techniques getting programmed drums to gel

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Mark Holden.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark Holden
    Participant

Hello

just getting started with programming drums I feel i'm getting there with drum patterns, where I'm struggling is getting them to glue with the track. I'm not sure if its simply I'm choosing the wrong drum sounds for a track or if I'm simply not blend enough samples or processing/mixing them correctly.

So I guess I'm asking how do you go about this. I've been using drum samples that come with Studio one and some of Warrens as well. The drums themselves sound fine but once in a track ouch stand out like a sore thumb.

Any thoughts welcome would help get me going.

Mark

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Mark Holden.
      Niki Pichler
      Participant

heho mark,

missed you on the chat sorry... do you have some examples for us to listen? it is impossible to tell you where you go "wrong" with your approach when we cant listen to anything =)

cheers, Niki

Mark Holden
        Participant

Hello Niki

Here is a link to the song working on now the drums a quite simple as its been a while which is a laid back track. What I have done when mixing down was turn off the shaker and tamborine this seems to have helped the sound a lot but any pointer from here would be great.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R9u2JxkBZQ1N0IECgHtju-xqcNh_WYxz

Mark

David Tait
          Participant

Hi Mark, I'm very late to your post as I've just joined the Academy.
            As a drummer my first response would be to say that you drums are back to front ie the first down beat is on the snare (where more traditionaly it would start with the kick. (But then we do love to celebrate the wrongness here!)
            For what it's worth my opinion on "programing" drums is that it's just a waste of time and will never sound natural unless of course you spend years and years perfecting it! (Even then it will always sound wrong) I find the best way to "program" drums is to use a vi such as Abbey Road Drums or Slate Drums or Superior Drummer and use the midi grooves provided (also midi groove packs for all genres can be purchased very cheaply) these midi grooves have been performed by a real drummer using an electronic midi trigger kit so they are far more realistic in terms of groove, it's then just a case of finding a ball park groove and tweeting the midi notes as desired, often you won't need to as there is usually a groove that will be fit for purpose, and being midi they will play at the tempo of the track you are working on (but still have some movment) then you can blend in Warren's samples along with that (but you will have to line them up using "tab to transient" Pro Tools or a similar edit feature in your daw. You can get some very real sounding drum grooves by using the " played by a real live drummer midi grooves" and it's way way faster! hope this helps you some. Feel free to ask for more info if you need to. Cheers
            Dave

Mark Holden
            Participant

Thanks David sorry about the late reply 🙂

Kip
              Participant

i have good success with choosing a room stereo verb and send a little bit of every drum to it, compress that verb and roll off some highs, then blend it underneath glues my slate ssd drums pretty good

Mark Holden
                Participant

Cheers Kip 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.