Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) February Multitrack : Freeware Mixing Challenge

• This topic has 84 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Arthur Labus.
Viewing 12 posts - 49 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

..next time vote for a limiter and you shall have one 😉

Arthur Labus

Will do 😀

Kip
        Participant

jesper that open roomy drum sound is fantastic and is so seamless with the vocal
          but it sorta exposes the rhythm left guitar as weird
          that is my only rub the rest including the solo sounds so authentic....im not sure if thats the word to use. live as if with an audience is missing from this recording
          really good work

Arthur Labus
            Jason Davenport
            Participant

Here is my take on this rockin’ little number! It was definitely a challenge mixing with only a few plugins to choose from, especially with no limiter on the list. Forces you to pay more attention to gain staging, and to get a really good balance of instruments before doing anything else. Did all processing on the instrument busses to save CPU as the Slick EQ is hungry for it. Slick EQ, MUJCjr, Kotelnikov, and Saturation Knob(stock Sonar plugin) featured heavily, with a splash of OldSkool Reverb on the guitars, and Tempo Delay on the solo. Didn’t use any of the others from the list. I’ve had the Slick EQ, and Kotelnikov for a while, and use them often, but the MUJCjr is a surprisingly cool little compressor. I’ve used the Saturation Knob for years, and have used it on every mix posted in the academy… Used “No One Knows” by Queens Of The Stone Age as a reference, not sure if I nailed their sound, but it sounds cool to me! Hope you guys like it, and any feedback is appreciated!

Updated mix per feedback

https://soundcloud.com/user-945216317/freeware-mix-challenge-abner-who-prom-dresssaltbox-studios-mix-2

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Jason Davenport.
              Jason Davenport
              Participant

Cool mix Jesper! Digging the 70's vibe. Guitars sound cool, solo is awesome. Drummer sounds like he's playing next door, not sure if that was intentional, but it distracts me a little from the groove. Otherwise great job with the tools you were given!

Jesper
                Participant

Thanks Kip! I agree that the guitar feels kind of missplaced or something. I used the Haas efx. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOrN6Nhros) so it may be the source to the conflicting feeling. I think I have to learn to use it better...;-)

Thanks Jason! Glad you like the guitar sounds. I also like them but it sounds quite different from what is in the original mix. I used all the tree sounds but favour the lined one heavily, and then its compressed quit a bit. So it has a choke sound, but kind of cool.

Kip
                  Participant

whoa... that is cool
                    i definitely want to learn how to do that jesper
                    thanks for that

Rich Zei
                    Participant

Here's my first pass. I am just learning how to work with Reaper and im not too confident in making the routing work for me.

https://soundcloud.com/thirdearaudioproductions/abner-who-prom-dress-mixed-by-rich-zei-freeware-plugins-challenge

I could not get Fetish to install or work at all, so its not there. The Gtr Solo was my nod to VH 1(that is 40yo last week).

Thoughts?

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Rich Zei.
                      Chris Sweet
                      Participant

Jason, killer mix dude. Only thing I heard that was bothering me was (I think) an excess of beater noise on the kick. Some kind of mechanical noise that seems to be coming with the kick. Those drums are exciting AF otherwise. Nice job. Love the vocal distortion. Damn dude.

Tobi
                        Keymaster

Jesper!

Fuzzy gtrs... like they have a beard - v. 70s! V. roomy 70s drum sound! Got this super chilled vibe about it (vibe = Pro Mixer Term)

I could do with more energy from the gtr (energy = pro mixer term)

Chorus comes in with some noise - me like!

h3000 fx is popping up from time to time in the chorus - buuuutt it's kinda cooool 🙂

Funky breakdown!

It's very lofi.. which is kinda cool but needs to be more noisy throughout! It's very close to being very cool in the verses etc... just feels a little too laid back.

Nice work!

Tobi.

Tobi
                          Keymaster

Jason

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! CRUNCHY GUITARS! ME LIKE!

Kick is slamming very fat and heavy... give me a mo' on that one.

Like the smash and crack on the snare - that's cool.

Yep... kick is too up in the mix.

Bass sounds awesome in the breakdown - love the texture on that mutha! (mutha = cool music biz speak)

Yep. Just the kick. Everything sounds cool and the gang!

Tobi.

Viewing 12 posts - 49 through 60 (of 85 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.