Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) February Multitrack : Freeware Mixing Challenge

• This topic has 84 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Arthur Labus.
Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sweet
    Participant
      Kip
      Participant

thx Chris

Kip
        Participant

ok that is very smooth and polished when i a/b to mine..which to be honest your stuff always is ..there is part of me every mix i shoot for your kick and snare sound..then i quit and throw them in the reverb bucket.

i have to ask especially last few mixes your drums remind me of david glen styleish (modern/attack/punch) do you you your own samples?or is there some compression trick?... do you wanna talk about that im sure there are loads of people other than me that would like to hear ...if you have time

Chris Sweet
          Participant

Hey thanks man! I think there’s too much hat bleed still...probably need to lower my snare mic and use more sample. Could use a gate plugin lol. In terms of drum processing, couldn’t do my usual shit on this song given the plugin choice; hit me up on fb messenger. I can share a few things that might help.

Tobi
            Keymaster

Mmmm... tasty placing in the reverb - sounds roomy, but present, but roomy...

Kick is really nice. Really solid mix. All the core elements are there.

Does the panned gtrs feel a little disconnected from the drums? ...maaaybe. On the other hand, it's a nice effect.

Gotta love that kick - very nice!

Pretty damn impressive. I miss some of the f**king noise of Kip's mix. His was an untamed rock animal.

A little seasoning from Kip's mix and that could be pretty awesome. Top notch job considering what we're working with. No idea how you managed to put together a mix of that quality with those plugins.

I've been playing with the Fetish compressor - he's a cheeky little chappy! Kinda nice when you manage to dial him in.

Tobi.

Tobi
              Keymaster

Told myself I was gonna do a straight mix.. but then I had one of my ideas. 🙂

Will try to post something tomorrow. Got an Acoustic EP to finish off as well. Lot's of automation to do tomorrow. ..why do I work so slow?! 😉

Kip
                Participant

you are lucky to have work...looking forward to those ideas

Chris Sweet
                  Participant

Here's a revision. Tightened up the drums a bit more

https://soundcloud.com/csweet08-1/prom-dress-mix-1

Michael Hordorwich
                    Participant

Very cool idea. Very Nice mix @chris-sweet. I hope to have time to get to this. Good luck @arthur You'll nail it buddy! Oh and the klanghelm jr. compressor is cool and i still use it and the sr. is so amazing i bought it and its on almost every mix i ever do. Toby i hear ya on the fabfilter plugins they are pretty impressive.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Michael Hordorwich.
                      Magnus Johansson
                      Participant

Great mix chris, Rocks, definitely a mix to try to beat. To me it sounds just a tad tilting to the left. Maybe it´s more energy in the left guitar. Great drums... I was starting not using the samples or the printed fx but we might do it that way next time. Insane amount of snare samples:O

I have just started on mine, will take some time. Have not got all the free plugins installed yet. but found a lot of other more interesting ones.

Suggestion for the next round. All free plugins we can find but not include temporary giveaways like soundtoys littleplate. Also post link to them here asap.

Oh my, I have got almost dependant on fabfilter. This is a great challenge.

Kip
                        Participant

updated mix to v2
                          you guys and your fab filter plugins..ahhg so expensive, their sales ... utter shit they know they dont need no stinking sales..snobs they are
                          oh well maybe tax time

Chris Sweet
                          Participant

Thanks Magnus. I’ll have to check my guitar balance. Yeah I don’t know why there are so many samples...I think I used just one of them. They’re definitely needed on this one though because there’s so much hi hat bleed.

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 85 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.