• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by elremachepop.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark Warner
    Participant

In one of Warren's videos he briefly mentioned "Ear Training". I would like to know more about the please.
      Cheers Mark

Steve A
      Participant

Excellent Subject!

Ear training in general is, IMO, one of the key elements in all of this... so, thanks for bringing this up..

Terry Doyle
        Participant

+1

I guess its a lot about experience .. but some pointers would be great.

Guido tum Suden
          Keymaster

It is a lot about experience, but you can help it along.

When I studied music theory I wasn't very good at the ear training stuff, but I played in a Top-40 Band at the same time and we rehearsed one new song almost every week. Since that was before the www, I had to pick out all the keyboards to play them. Even today with the internet you would have to do the same, because usually you wouldn't find a song on all these chords an tabs pages with four correct chords in a row. 😉

My best ear training was when I conducted a choir for seven years. Since I was almost the only one who could read score I had to sing all four or five voices to teach the choir. After a few years I mainly sang directly from score.
            Even if you don't have the opportunity to conduct a choir, it's very important to sing the notes when doing ear training. You will learn intervals much, much faster that way.

A good starting point is to play a note (in comfortable singing range) on any instrument and then sing that note straight away. Wait a moment and then go for a completely different note. Don't just sing along while playing.

Guido

Anders Isberg
            Participant

I totally agree with Guido. Learn to sing the notes as you work on the ear training. I would also recommend that you do most of the training in a musical context. It's perfectly fine to insolate certain things and do some focused practicing if that's what you need, but the best ear training imo is really learning melodies and harmonies. Pick any tunes you like and learn to sing the melody by ear. That way you not only learn to recognize intervals and pitch, you also get a feel for time, timbre and the function of the notes.

LeoA
              Participant

There's an app for the iPhone called Quiztones. It's awesome for ear training.

Mark Warner
                Participant

Thanks I will check that out 🙂

elremachepop
                  Participant

I think Warren ment ear training to recognize some frequencys...

Other thing is the musical ear training. About notes and melodies.

http://www.teoria.com has a lot of kind of exercises. If you want to learn how to recognize intervals and chords, etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.