Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions DAW Specific Lessons - Pro Tools

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Timothy -.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    auntiebeeb
    Participant

Hi

I think there was an email a few weeks ago asking about DAW specific tutorials and ideas for topics. I normally use Studio One which does all the heavy lifting regards IO, buses, groups etc. One click or click and drag and you're done.

I've also started using pro tools to be more versatile for clients and to add more skills to my cv. The biggest problem I have is soloing. In S1, if you want to solo a subgroup, you just click the Solo button on the group fader and all you hear is what's in that group (simple). I realise to do something similar in PT you have to set up groups, which I find just does my head in, having to click the group or check the group status before soloing or moving a whole host of faders you didn't mean to!

A tutorial on the most efficient way to utilise groups for speed and how to use them in PT would be really useful.

Sara.

Timothy -
      Participant

Hi Sara,

I believe you can set up VCA's in pro tools and use them to group solo or mute everything grouped to that vca. what is nice is you don't have to have the grouped tracks on (so that moving any fader in the group moves them all) to use the VCA fader.

Tim

auntiebeeb
        Participant

Hi Tim

I must explore VCA's more. I like being able to group to an aux so I can add plug ins to affect the whole group. I realise no audio goes through a VCA and I can't see the advantage of using them as an alternative, other than what you have said above. (That could be another lesson!)

Maybe I just need to change my mindset back to using SSL consoles, then it might work for me. If only PT would have an option in preferences or something, to solo from aux sends. Unless it does and I've missed it.

People who use PT daily will not think twice about this but Studio One and other DAWS make things soooo much easier and quicker!

Thanks for your thoughts 🙂

Timothy -
          Participant

The solo from aux sends is one of the top requested features to add. It's been on the list for a long time so who knows when it will or rather if it will become a reality. I know that the VCAs are handy for soloing whole sections as well as changing the volume without messing with the original fader positions. They can also be automated. I seem to remember a Kenny Gioia video where he set the session up using VCAs to control Drums, Bass, Guitar, keyboards, and vocal so he could work on all the drums then pop the bass and vocals in by un-muting the corresponding VCA. Seemed like a moderately quick way to put in a mass of tracks with one button.

Tim

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Timothy -.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.