• This topic has 140 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Ross Johnson.
Viewing 12 posts - 49 through 60 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Serge
    Participant

Hi Krishna, I liked the mix, but it needs to be properly mastered, there is a little lack of brightness and volume. Check the original mix from the project archive, compare it with your own and I think my comment will be clear.

Juan Pablo
      Participant

Hello Serge, and thank you! I think the headphones I have are cutting a bit on the bass and adding a bit on the highs. I will revisit the mix and see if I can get them right. 🙂 And good luck to you too!

Krishna Rao
        Participant

Hi serge! Yes it does need to be mastered. I’ve uploaded the mix without mastering it. I’m not too confident about mastering. So I haven’t done that. Did you find the brightness an issue when you heard it level matched to the original?

Frozn Colors
          Participant

hi Juan, use reference tracks!

Serge
            Participant

Krishna, I have compared both mixes, yours and the original on the same level, and your mix is a little faded, but it's not terrible, with careful mastering, the mix will become bright and juicy.

Juan Pablo
              Participant

Hello @Frozn Colors! What do you think it would be a good reference track for this style, even if you think is generic?

Todd Mitchell
                Participant

Hey Kishna, great job!  Very ambient feel.  Lots of cool choices.  I might not have made the same choices (well, I didn't) but that's okay!  That's what makes this great.  I only think the electric guitars are just a little too present for my liking.  I find that's the kind of thing that limits how loud you can turn up a mix.  When the guitars make your ears bleed, you won't turn the music up any more.  That 4k is the governor on the volume knob.  It also defines what you perceive to be closest to the listener.  Therefore, the guitars feel closer in space than the vocalist.  Interestingly, playing it back in mono, those huge, angry electric guitars almost disappear as they largely cancel each other out.   Coming out of the solo has a bit too much of a volume jump I think.  My only other constructive comment might be to add more automation to the drum volume might be useful?

But I really enjoyed the mix and loved how you manipulated some of the parts!  Great job and good luck!

Todd Mitchell
                  Participant

Hi @Thomas,

Your mix is far more ambient and verby than I typically do, so I find it a bit hard to really know where to recommend changes.  I certainly go for a much more straight forward sound.  The hall verb dominates the vocals so completely in the verses and pre-chorus, I certainly would be using that as a parallel effect and probably be using side-chain compression to squash the reverb tails until the vocal cuts out. You did manage to keep them in front though largely out front.  The verb effects get much smaller in mono.

The contrast of how out front (and loud) the vocals get going into the chorus is very distracting for me.  Especially in mono.

In your bridge, the harmony vocals sometimes come to the front - sounding closer and in a couple spots louder than the main vocal.

Drum treatment is very 80's which suits the other vibe.  You did a good job automating them too.  But I miss the percussive samples in the second verse...

Yeah, I guess because you've taken a creative path different from my norm, my general advice probably comes across as "don't do it!".  And that's not great advice at all!  I think the biggest, real constructive bit of advice is to make sure that the vocal levels don't jump so dramatically going into the chorus.

Stick to your guns!

Todd Mitchell
                    Participant

@Frozn, great job here.

A couple of comments

- your lead vocals are WAY in front and dry.  A little "ess"-y.  And the low double is a bit too up front too.  Because the timing of the performance really wasn't that great, in my opinion, it has to be buried much lower. It actually also reveals the pitch imperfections too.  Everyone has their own style but I'd strongly consider some ambient space effects on the vocal (in parallel).  Not as much as you've got on the harmony vocals, but maybe 20% of the verb and 2-3 slap echos?  If you want to keep that really out-front sound, use side-chain compression to put some squash on the effects.  Another "sanity check" would be to turn off the drums and crush your mix to death on the master bus with a fairly slow release and listen how there's a sense of a seamless transition throughout for the listener to always find something new to listen to without massive volume jumps.  That can provide a helpful guide.

This idea is based on Andrew Schepps' "Back-bus compression" technique.  Send everything except the drums to a separate channel and crush the hell out of it and then blend in a dose of this into your mix.  Schepps has joked that by using this method, he can get away without using automation (which of course isn't true, but it does allow more modest amounts).

- You might consider referencing the volume of the guitar solo for how loud the lead vocals are?

- I think that the job you did of the music is really quite good, but the vocals are so much in front, the listener is shocked (and will turn down the volume) once the vocals come in.

- at the beginning of the track there are some noises (the abrasive slide into the bass part that you might look to clean up).  The drum room/ambient mics also add some clutter that you might want to dial back until the full band is in.  The room sounds move the drums away from the listener and therefore saps some energy when it's just them and the swirly guitar (which is a great time for them to be dominating the mix).

- thinking about your comment on dark sounds - when there are no vocals, you might choose to give your swirly guitars a little more air to keep the listener something to focus on.

I hope the feedback is constructive!  Best of luck in the contest!

Todd Mitchell
                      Participant

Hi Dan, great job here!

A few thoughts:

- vocals in the verse and pre-chorus are taking a little too much backseat for me.  The low harmony is perhaps just a touch too audible - are they going through reverb?  If so, I think that's the problem - the tail feels too long.

- ironically, the end vocal starts with the least amount of ambience, so it's the first vocal part that feels in your face

- in the chorus, the vocal slap-back clouds the part.  You could maybe try putting side-chain compression on it so that the echoes are quiet when they conflict?

- Interesting EQ choices.  Swirly guitar and lead guitar quite dark compared to your rhythm guitars (which have lots of ~4k fizz).  You've also got a lot of air on some elements which has the effect of putting the spatial sense of the rhythm guitars and the drums closer to the listener than anything else.

Hope the suggestions are helpful!  Best of luck in the contest!

Todd Mitchell
                        Participant

@Serge,

This is a great, up front mix.  Very much my style.  Vocals might need a touch of de-essing?  Maybe just a touch of hall tucked way back too? Maybe a touch more restriction on the dynamics?  Vocal rider or just tapping the vocals with a limiter?

There is a lot of really present instrumentation.  I do wonder if you could use some dynamic EQ on the rhythm guitars to duck them at 2k-4k below the vocal?  Just give those vocals a hair more room but also to send the guitars back spatially a hair.

Hmmm.  Really interesting as I listen.  I am thinking to myself, how might this sound with some sort of additional glue element on it?  Most everything is right in front, nice and distinct...but I can't help wonder if some tape emulation or a bit more master bus or summing...?  I don't know - I really like your mix - it might do nothing to improve it!  But if it was me, it would be something I'd be wanting to try.

Great job!  Best of luck in the contest.  And thank you for your feedback on my mix!  I don't know that you're at all far off the mark.  I really thought you did a great job managing the lows and your subs and keeping the musical elements all available.

Serge
                          Participant

Hi Todd,
                            thank you for the flattering review, this is really my first complete mix, I have never completely mixed any songs before, so, self-written drafts of low quality. So this start is fun for me. The actual mixing to the final result, I started only from the 20th of June this year, previously I just could not do due to various reasons.
                            Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Good luck in the contest.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Serge.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 49 through 60 (of 141 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.