Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Bussing and Bus Structure

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Mark Warner.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    gary ambrosino
    Participant

I was studying the Olly Alcock song (thank you Warren for the feedback) and looking at Warren's settings.

Best I can tell from looking at the bussing setup - Warren, you have this set up to go to your console in terms of the I/O setup ?

Since I had gotten feedback on the drums I studies Warren's bussing on the drum section to learn how to replicate Warren's drum ambiance sound.

I used the BULLET mix to study this since I like the drum sounds and felt they were what I should be shooting for more than the dryer drum sound I got on the Met the Blues mix.

It appears to me that the drums have two busing paths (based on my study of the Protools bussing notes) - the drums appear to go through a master on bus 25-26 which maps to an output. BUT it also looks like some of the channels of Kick and Snare go directly to the out and don't participate in the master/stem busing.

Anyone know if this is NOT the way it was mixed ? I played around with the mix and rebussed the tracks going directly to output to the master and notice it looses a little bit of presence .

Question - IS THIS A TECHNIQUE or am I just misreading the bus configuration ?

THANKS !!!!

Mark Warner
      Participant

Hi Gary,
        I would like to help you but I am not sure if I can as I am not a Pro tools user. Like you I have studied Warren's videos to pull out best practice for mixing and and adapt it for my DAW. So generally knowing something of Warren's methods it might be that some drum outs are sends for outboard hardware. Why do I suggest this? Well Warren is at times well into hybrid mixing. It is also usual for Warren and most mixers to send things in many directions for drums. For example kick and snare nearly always get sent to the master but also to a parallel compressor. Warren usually calls this a Drum Crush. Depending on sample type and their purpose not all kick samples might go to this. For instance something added to boost a transient might not need crushing. Also a parallel ambient reverb is normally added and some things get routed to this as well. Warren calls this a Drum Room. On occasion he also route to something he calls Drum clean which doubles the piece sent to it. I personally also include an HF reverb which I call a Unity Reverb and I send from HF items to this to glue different parts of a mix together. I don't know if any of this is at all helpful to you so I am sorry if it does not answer you question. Cheers Mark

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.