Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Balancing a Sub

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Michael B.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael B
    Participant

Hello all.
      I have recently been working on a project where the music will be played in a dance club. It seems there is a debate about whether or not the use of a sub for mixing is helpful or hurtful to mixing.

I have JBLs for my monitors and sub. I balanced them all using pink noise and a db meter and a spectrum analyzer. The sub is not overtly obvious after this calibration so it doesn't emphasize the lows more than without the sub.

My first impression is that this is a really helpful upgrade for my system. I can mix now at much lower volume and I'm hearing a lot more detail in the lower mids.

The cheaper Presonus sub I used years ago failed eventually and was very noisy. So I avoided them completely and went with JBLs. I am really happy with them. Except for one cool feature of the Presonus, where you could put the sub in standby and the monitors would be like there was no sub. The JBL doesn't operate as a pass through while off and does not have the bypass. But, it does have a very cool switch that boosts 60hz 10db to simulate what a mix might sound like in a club.

Anyone else have opinions about how they use subs? Cool.

Andrew (AKA Ajay)
      Participant

Hey Michael, hows things?

I use a Yamaha sub but only to reference my mix. I set the cross-over point to 50hz for rock stuff and for EDM I turn it down to 20hz just so I can hear any low rumble that may be present.

Using a sub is a great idea, I don't think I could do without one now actually!!

I used to DJ and I found most clubs didn't have their subs set-up properly, some even had the cross-over point set at 110hz???

So I'd be checking out the system your mix is going to be played on, just a suggestion!

Let me know how it goes.....

Andrew (AKA Ajay)

Michael B
        Participant

Using a sub. Loving it. It's balanced so it doesn't feel heavy like a home movie room.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.