Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk BAE 1073 incoming

• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Mario Maslik.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sweet
    Participant

After taking stock of my gear collection and seeing what I could part with, I've been able to place an order for the 500 series 1073 from BAE. Could not be more excited to finally have some neve in my arsenal.

Jared Sherman
      Participant

Congrats! That should be a great piece to have. I am curious, what is the 500 rack that you are using? Do you have other 500 gear before now?

Chris Sweet
        Participant

I got the one that vintage king makes (the rack version). I think it was $450 for a 6u. It's a pretty good value and has a better power supply than some others.

Right now I have a CAPI VP26 (just ordered another for a stereo pair) and a WA12. The 1073 is replacing the WA12. Also have a pair of Dbx 560a's and a pair of the Lindel EQ's. Gonna sell one (or both) of the dbx since I have a pair of the WA76's that I love for tracking comps. Eventually I'd like to get a second 1073 so I'll have 2 pairs of preamp flavors (API and neve), a pair of 1176's and a pair of EQs. Perfect overdub rig.

Chris Sweet
          Participant

That's the rack (old photo)

500 Rack

Chris Sweet
            Participant

So no luck with BAE. First one showed up with a bent faceplate, replacement showed up with a faulty output knob. Not sure if BAE has QC issue or just really rough treatment in the mail but I opted to grab the 1073 jr from heritage audio. Hopefully it shows up in one piece

Johnny Sommerer
              Participant

Hey Chris,

sorry you had no luck with your BAE! I have a 1073MP (rack version) and I love it. I considered it because of Warren gettin so great tones with it and I never looked back!How's the Heritage Audio?

Cheers,
                Johnny

Chris Sweet
                Participant

So far it's fantastic. I'd say a tad less low mid than the BAE and a tad more high end fidelity. But we're talking super subtle here. They're both great units sonically. I've "heard" that the heritage is closest to the real deal but these things can be subjective. Horses for courses as warren says lol. At the end of the day the Heritage showed up in one piece and appears to be built like a tank so I'm happy with the purchase. Hoping to grab another.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Chris Sweet.
                  Jared Sherman
                  Participant

I just got a 1073MPF and it is in perfect shape - shipped direct from BAE too. I haven't used it much so far but early impressions are that it sounds incredible, and of course it looks pretty incredible too! I considered a 500 series 1073MPL in part because I recently got a BAE 11-space rack, but I wanted all the controls easily accessible (impedance switch is on the back) and the HPF wasn't an option unless I got the full 3-space 1073D.

Sorry to hear you received a faulty 1073MPL. That experience would make me consider other options as well. The Heritage 500 version is also more feature rich than the BAE 500 version so that doesn't hurt either.

Walker Koldplay
                    Participant

I was influenced by Warren and many positive Gearslutz reviews to buy a used BAE dual MPF and a DMP, last year. Paid $1750 for the Dual MPF, with power supply! So far, I love both and am really happy with the purchase. I've used them on Vocals, Guitars, Bass, Keys, and Roland E-Drums with great effect. I would like three more channels, when funds permit.

I am also thinking of getting a pair of CAPI VP-28s, next. This will be my first 500 series experience. I needs more channels for drums set and hear these are great on toms.

Mario Maslik
                      Participant

RonRock, where did you buy the 1073 MPF for $1750, im considering that also and appreciate any advice
                        Thank you

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.