Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Midas m32 advise Reply To: Midas m32 advise

face (chris) Janton
Participant

No idea about budget, or what you *really* need...M32R is $3200. Add stage box... X32 Compact is $1800. Add X32 Rack for $1200. Use the X32R for a stage box - lots of inputs, lots of outputs. You wind up with a "crap ton" of physical inputs - 16+ on the Compact, 16+ on the X32R. You also get a "spare" mixer, just in case 😉 Many people tout a dual X32R setup, they use tablets for fader control and the like. Driving an X-series or M-series with the computer software isn't a bad deal at all...I am perfectly happy using a laptop with a trackpad for "mixing" since I rarely move 2 faders at once - DCA (VCA) does the trick for controlling groups.

It's "older" tech, but it has been well vetted. You could look at some Yamaha or Digico gear, but...

You can also plug a Dante card into the X/M mixers and play with AOIP. 100m simple cable to remote...same distances with the AES50 on the Midas/X32, but the AES50 stuff requires separate network...Dante can work on existing networks...

If I was going to build it all again I would invest in a pair of X32R mixers, along with an SD16 stage box. Literally put the SD16 on the stage, X32R to the side, X32R at FOH position or at the other side of the stage. FOH position becomes a tablet or laptop wandering around in the venue.

I really enjoyed using my XR18 (stage box mixer) connected to an iPad 24-track recorder (Auria) and X-Air Edit on my laptop to drive the mix...works really well. Low-rent band 😉 low-rent bars 😉 low-cost, but effective gear...the XR18 is my computer interface when it isn't on the road...