Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Analog Summing Reply To: Analog Summing

tblizz
Participant

It would be interesting to see if plug-ins could achieve the same effect as analog summing.

Therefore I’ve uploaded all 10 stems that were used for summing on my Dropbox. It’s 630Mb so it’s pretty big and probably not going to stay there forever, so grab them while you can.

@Steve, Warren often talks about film embracing digital and understanding it far longer than we have in the analog world. And indeed, if you google “How to make video look like film” you get a long list of articles and techniques.

The first link lists 9 techniques and I think the same is true for recording. Analog summing is just 1 technique in a whole list of things you can do to get a more analog sound. That doesn’t mean one is better than the other, it depends on the track.
    The Fast and the Furious 7 was made for Digital IMAX and filmed accordingly, The H8full 8 by Quentin Tarantino was shot on Ultra Panavision 70mm film and also looks great. The Hobbit was shot in a high-frame-rate format at 48 fps, which not everybody liked.

HFR still isn’t for everybody. Doubling the frames from the century-old standard 24 sharpens the picture considerably, giving rise to textures we’re not used to seeing. It also eliminates motion blur, which we’ve been conditioned to recognize as trailing the action; without it, objects can appear to be moving too fast. There is a pervasive attachment to 24fps’ warm and fuzzy “cinematic glow.” And at first sight, it’s easy to see why -– 24 frames looks like movies, with that illusion of detachment and magic, while 48 frames is hyper-real, like video.

I’m 44, so I grew up with vinyl and cassette tapes. That’s probably the reason I like that ‘analog’ sound, not unlike Brad Wood. Kids growing up on music today, will not doubt have a different perspective. Maybe if all streaming music becomes Hight Quality lossless in 20 years, we’ll see the first MP3 emulator plug-ins for that authentic '2000' sound! 😉