Chris Knowles
Participant

Hey Patrick,

Nice balance of vocals and instruments!

It did seem a little loud to me but I have been working on the loudness of my mixes so I may be super sensitive to that at the moment but I had to drop the volume to below 50 (using the standard 0 - 100 that the pc offers). Not sure if you have a good metering plugin (I am using TRackS 5 Meter) to help give me better guidance on where the song is heavy and what the overall LUFS (Loudness Units Full Scale) rating is.  This has helped me tremendously bring down the overall level of my mixes.

Also, it seems really boomy at around 120hz so you want want to see if you can bring down the level there a bit.  Also, Magnus has pointed out to me some harshness in the 4k range. To my comment on loudness above, I actually heard this once I brought all my levels down by several db so that my mix loudness targets were around -6db with a LUFS of -19 to -17.  Then I really heard it.  The lead guitar parts have this almost shrill resonance and when both the lead and rhythm guitars are panned at center it is really hard to control and isolate that noise so I spread the lead and rhythm bus mixes apart with some panning and put a little damping eq on both accordingly.  Also, this made room for my vocals to be a little more aggressive.

Finally, not sure if you mastered your mix but you didn't use the chopped vocal at the end and you have about 10 seconds of silence at the end of your track.  Warren has done a really cool video on this where he talks about how to find the logical end of a track and cutting off the rest of the tail (I don't remember what video it was, sorry) but all you need to do is listen to the end of the mixed track and find the logical end (essentially, it is where all sound stops) cutting there and doing a clip fade.

Anyway, a lot of verbiage but please take it for whatever it's worth as I don't do this for a living (yet 🙂 ).

Great job and keep at it!

Chris