Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Studio Building / Acoustics Hearing Compensation for Elderly People Reply To: Hearing Compensation for Elderly People

Kevin
Participant

I can't say if it is a good idea or not. If it works for you, Guido, then it probably is a good idea. I think it would be better to learn to live/work with the hearing loss which is perfectly possible. I'm not an audiologist so the information I going to write here probably isn't complete.

You mentioned that your experiment is not about hearing loss, but about a general difference in volume that you experience in one ear. As far as I know, the latter is a consequence of the former.

Anyway, because you mentioned that you have hearing loss at one side, I expect you have damaged tiny hair cells that are inside your inner hearing organ (cochlea) because of an experience of noise exposure in your life rather than aging. If these hair cells are damaged, it's irreversible and you simply don't hear a specific frequency or in your case a whole range of frequencies anymore.

What you are doing by applying an EQ on one side of your speakers, you stimulate the hair cells that are closest to the damaged hair cells and also the second harmonics of that frequency. That gives you a false idea of what you think you hear and what actually comes out of your speakers. It's simply impossible that suddenly that row of damaged hair cells are stimulated again.

Another thing why I think this isn't a good idea is because you still have another ear with no damaged hair cells. If you change the EQ of one side of your speaker system, it's not so that your opposite ear doesn't hear this. So, by applying EQ, even on one speaker, leads you into a completely false perception of the sound in both of your ears.

I know that you think that I don't understand your post very well or haven't read it carefully. Believe me, I did read it more than once : ). What you want to do is changing the EQ in both of your speakers to achieve the "goal curve". Well, the same story as above is applicable here. There is an error that happens in your hearing system. Your speaker system is OK. Introducing an error in your speaker system to compensate for the error in your hearing system will lead you further from the truth rather than closer.

Just my thoughts.
    Kevin