Tobi
Keymaster

Pasted Jared's Mix Post here, for convenience :

Hey guys, I just uploaded my mix for this competition. Please listen and make comments! Let me know what you think. I worked pretty hard on it. I also followed the instructions to a T and did not add any samples or any other sounds (even though the drums were not easy to get sounding right – I feel like I was able to pull it off; but hey, if you disagree please let me know!).

-Slightly Revised version-
    https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/puremix-mixing-competition/submissions/5945293c-f691-11e5-8960-0e8b89ba5cff

*Plus my feedback for the first version :

Nice depth to the tom fill just before a minute in. Guitars are nice and crunchy and angry, without distortion spilling over all over the mix. Dynamics are solid – particularly liked the vocal level, through all the changes – stays in the slot. You carry the oddly disjointed swagger of the song well.

Some of the drums sounded a little drowned out, buuuuut, I’m listening through my TV – so that may well explain that. I’ll give it a listen in the studio tomorrow.

All in all a solid job. Well done! I’d be well proud of that.

------
    Jared's reply :

Thanks for the listening and for the feedback Toby. The drums for this were very difficult – I don’t feel like they were recorded well at all. I did some research on the band and it looks like one of the band members does all the recording himself so who knows what kind of space they have and recording chops. My guess is that the drums weren’t recorded in an actual studio or even a room that sounded good at all. Notice there weren’t even any room mics and the overheads had a nasty ring in the sub 250 range so I ended up just having to high pass the overheads. That effectively just left the usable drum sounds to close miking (OHs effectively became close mics for the cymbals). I would have loved to throw some killer samples in there – this is the kind of recording that needs that kind of help. Unfortunately I don’t think the rules allow drum replacement.

-------

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Tobi. Reason: Moving Posts to One Place