Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mastering Adam Ayan Q&A Some non-technical questions Reply To: Some non-technical questions

Adam Ayan
Participant

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the great questions!

I discovered mastering as the thing I might want to do when I was a senior at UMass Lowell. I was the president of our AES student chapter at the time, and had asked Bob Ludwig to come and speak for us. He graciously accepted, and I spent a bunch of time researching just what mastering was, and started to think it might be for me. I was working at a multitrack studio as an engineer at the time, and eventually went on to intern at a mastering studio in Boston, which also hired me after the internship was completed. So, I was doing multitrack work and working at a mastering lab when I realized mastering was what I wanted to do full time. A position as a production engineer opened up at Gateway, I applied, and ended up getting it. Shortly after that Bob wanted a direct assistant, and I pursued that. In a short period of time it became apparent to both of us that I had the aptitude for mastering, and I began developing my own clientele. That was about 2001, and I haven't looked back since!

In terms of favorite records - I'm very fortunate in that I love many of the records I've worked on! My favorites as of late are Lana Del Rey's "Honeymoon", Mavis Staple's "Livin' On A High Note", and all 3 of the Trevor Hall records that Warren Huart and I have worked on together in the past few years. I am a rock guy at heart, and was a musician first so I guess I would say that records with great musicianship and rock aesthetic are often favorites. It's an honor to work on so much great music!

As for living in Portland, ME. I do love it here. I came here to work at Gateway, and it ended up being a really happy accident for me that it's such a great place to live. Sometimes I think I'd like to be in a bigger city or one of the music hubs, but I really wouldn't trade Portland for them any day. It can be difficult at times to network and get engaged with the record business as a whole being here, but I manage to stay involved with NARAS and the AES and get as much as I can in.

Unfortunately, we do not offer tours to the public. As you can imagine we do get a lot of requests!

Best,
    Adam