John Brandt
Participant

Jared,

Sorry for the very late reply!

Well, bay windows are very hard to isolate, but The glass could be fitted with heavier, thicker stuff - ideally laminated. This will improve the isolation up to about 30-40 dB.

1. Isolation requires mass and seal. If you can get both, you're in the running. Control rooms, as a rule, don't need as much as tracking rooms. Barring extenuating and noisy circumstances, you should be fine with around 56 dB isolation - which is very doable with standard construction methods however requiring considerable mass.

2. We only do custom windows for sound-proofing, but massing the glass up usually does the trick for rooms like yours. French doors: Nearly impossible to sound-proof due mainly to the mullion and threshold area being difficult to seal. Remember, Form follows function. French doors are for the VIEW, not the sound.

3. Green Glue does indeed work, however I never use it. It's better, IMHO, to add another layer of 5/8" fire-rated drywall... or better - decouple the walls.

4. I really like the way that Glenn does his business. Testing data and no BS! Good products and prices. I do recommend if you need panel treatment.

5a. There is a reflection tab on my Reflections Boundaries Mass spreadsheet and other placement info on my Room mode calculators.

5b. Diffusion in a Control room is for psychoacoustics. A room with all-absorption and no diffusion is similar to the NE rooms. Many people can work them just fine. Others have issues because it becomes stressful. See my BNE Criteria. NOTE: don't sit too close to a diffusor or poly!

Cheers,
    John