John Brandt
Participant

Hi Jeff,

1. Membrane traps.... work great! VERRRRY difficult to build correctly. usually end up a waste of time and money. Unless you have someone experienced helping you. That's why I'm an advocate of using regular building materials to do what you need done DIY. - By the way, 703 to 705 is used very sparingly in our builds. It is far too reflective at bass frequencies to be useful any deeper than 2". For this reason, most ALL commercially available traps around 2" thick are made from this stuff and that's why people think that it's the stuff to put in your studio! "Surpraiz! Surpraiz! Surpraiz!, Sergeant Carter...." - Gomer Pile. - Oh! by the way, the membrane trap that you just described will not work. It might work as an absorption device, but not as a working membrane trap.

2. Splayed walls are 'one' way to break up room modes. But a terrible waste of space. Notice that nearly all pro studios are based on a rectangular cuboid. Room mode calculators do not work for rooms with angled walls or ceilings. It can be calculated, but it is very difficult. I've done it a few times and it's such a pain that I prefer to just build it and test it afterward... but this is something that I hate to do. I don't like 'not knowing'. I don't like opening a 'box of chocolates', it's ususally more like a can of worms. 😛 - That said, go with a good room ratio, convert it to prime numbers and you're off to an extremely good start. There's a reason that Dolby Labs specify certain rectangular cuboid for their Dolby Certification. 😉

3. Tracking rooms are totally different animals. Control or critical listening rooms MUST be symmetrical, balanced, etc., etc., etc., but a tracking room is BEST Asymmetrical! Ceilings should be as high as you can possibly get them. Ratios don't matter. Angled walls and cubby holes are sometimes desirable as are rock walls, etc.

4. Yes, I give ball-park estimates on the cost of builds. It's not a big deal. I give out several a day. You can ask any pro... sometimes a big part of our day is spent talking with prospective clients and getting to know people. So ask away. I certainly don't mind.

Any time that I can help clear the air of answer honest questions, I'm happy to do so.

Cheers,
    John