Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mastering Correlation Meter/Stereo width Reply To: Correlation Meter/Stereo width

James Gorman
Participant

Hi Dan,

> I looked this topic up and know very little as of yet, but doesn't this mean that while the song will sound fine in mono, it has a very narrow stereo image?

Yep, this is pretty much it. In and for its self there is nothing good or bad about being mono (some very good records are mono!). The issue is only if you are a trying to fit into a genre that tends towards stereo.

That said, the short version is, does it sounds good? If it does you're set, if not then you'll want to look at things.

Thing you can look at for stereo image (given what you've got as input):
    - are the guitars hard panned left and right?
    - If they are, try setting them to centre and flip the phase of one to see how much cancels out. If a lot is cancelled out then they are too similar and you might need to rerecord one. You could use different guitar, cab settings, a different mic placement, or playing a part with small variations.
    - Is there reverb on things? With mostly mono mics, only the guitars can give you much space if you have a typical pop/rock mix of drums and bass down the middle. A short, diffuse room-y reverb might add a sense of space to things (of hall/chamber depending on the track)
    - Is the bass reamped (or virtual amped)? If you try Warren's high pass trick, you can feed this to the reverb. Some v-amps let you play with a stereo room mic too.

Are you confortable sharing you track (and reference)? I'd be happy to have a listen and see if I can help more.

James