Academy Dashboard Forum Production Digital Recording How Good is Your Limiter/Meter in Terms of True Peaks? Reply To: How Good is Your Limiter/Meter in Terms of True Peaks?

Jürgen Schuler
Participant

Hi Arthur!

Yeah, I know... I didn't really know what to do with what I found. I could have kept it to myself, but perhaps it's useful for someone. And it's something so nerdy, I didn't believe anybody would be really interested in.

Back to the results:
    The first file should return 0.0 dBFS. The maximum true peak and the maximum sample peak happen at the same time.

The second file should have given you also 0.0 dBFS. I also tested the Toneboosters Barricade V3 and the EBU Loudness meter, which come both with the BusTools 3. I got a maximum true peak value of -0.4 dBFS.

The maximum sample peak is -2.11 dBFS. When your readings are between -2.2 dBFS and -2.1 dBFS, the true peak mode appears to be disabled. The values you found agree very well with the maximum sample peak, but not with the true peak.

By the way, the best results I got was with the Tokyo Dawn Records Limiter 6 GE, which is unfortunately only available as a Gentlemen's Edition for EUR 50.00 or as a demo version. The demo version, appears to be fully functional, but does not recall settings. I believe that's what they mean by "The demo edition features a true analogue experience".

If you've got other questions, don't hesitate.

Cheers,
    Jürgen