John Dragich
Participant

Lisa,

Thanks for the insightful reply. It took me a few months before I realized that this part of the forum existed. I made some changes based on your observations. I reduced the vocal volume (relative to the instruments) around 2 db. I increased the vocal reverb a bit. I left Warrens solo alone because I liked it so much - the song needed something like it at that point.

What is going on with the chorus rhythm guitar delay: I put the delay on a separate track and did a send to it from the original guitar track. The reason was that the original rhythm guitar is mostly at the same time as the vocal phrases, so I made it a softer volume. The delay on a separate track I made louder to fill in the gaps between vocal phrases. The panning on each track is static (not automated) but different. I didn't want to screw with it because it would change the panning level balance and I didn't want to open up that can of worms. Also, I kind of like it - perhaps my tolerance for tacky effects is greater than yours. Anyhow, I hope that this version is an improvement.

Thanks again,
    John