Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Cubase Cubase and Windows Reply To: Cubase and Windows

Maurice Beekman
Participant

Hi Johnyl,

I'm running Cubase 9.5 on a windows laptop and i'm quit happy with it. It's a 2 year old i7 laptop with an 128GB solid state disk and 8GB RAM (an external HD for archiving projects). Most of the PLAPA multitrack sessions can be handled with several plugins on each track and groups/sends. I'm using a Focusrite 18i20 audio interface and if i use it with maximum latency i can handle about 60 tracks with plugins, etc. When i'm using more effects i have to freeze tracks to save CPU power.

Only negative thing i can think of is the USB interface for audio devices. Firewire or Thunderbolt are much better then USB3. But if you don't record much this won't be an issue. I do record and with USB and sometimes the latency can become an issue, unless i use direct monitoring.

I think both a Mac and Windows machine work great and it's a ratrace: every year faster PC's/Mac's but also more and more tracks and CPU hungry plugins. So eventually you will run out of CPU 🙂

Maurice