Academy Dashboard Forum Production Analog Recording Reading VU Meters & I/O Level Reply To: Reading VU Meters & I/O Level

Joe Salyers Salyers
Participant

Ok I think this may help 0 on a VU Meter is -18 on a DAW digital full scale meter when your hardware is set to +4 (I know it's confusing) if you're VU meter reads 0 and your return DAW meter reads anything above/below -18 when calibrating your gear with a 1 Kilohertz (1000 hertz) test tone you need to set the calibration correctly for the analog equipment's VU metering. Here is how to do that take a signal generator most DAW's have one built in and set the output of the generator plugin to -18 send that signal out of your interface into your analog gear. Some gear will have a calibration knob or screw some may not if it does use a screwdriver to set the signal coming into your VU to 0. If it does not take a mental note on how close to 0 it is and compensate the offset accordingly. RMS, K-12, K14, K20, Peak, EBU,R128, PPM and loudness metering are not the same as VU so we have to use the analog standard when calibrating analog equipment. TB Pro Audio has a free VU meter for all DAWs so jump over to their website and grab it it also does other metering types this way you can check that the outgoing signal from your hardware is reading correctly coming back into your DAW with a VU plugin because a VU meter can go bad so it is best to double check and hey it's a free metering plugin. Also the difference between +4 (1.23Vrms) and -10 is you should always use +4. -10 is for consumer equipment.only use -10 if a +4 option is not available on the hardware. Granted some hardware may allow for higher headroom but 0VU = -18 Digital is the best way to be in the safe zone. If you want to drive your gear hard go ahead there are not rules and it might sound quite nice but the VU needs to be calibrated correctly so you get the best possible results for your clients and yourself. Here is the link to the free VU meter Have a great day Ya'll!! http://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/mvmeter.html

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Joe Salyers Salyers.