Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Mixing With Your Mind Reply To: Mixing With Your Mind

soundsuite

Hey Nathan - you're more than welcome. Glad to be of help. Meanwhile, working with Mike Stravrou - that's fantastic, I'm envious in the extreme! Come to think of it, perhaps you can do me a small favor. As I had mentioned in my recommendation, he uses some verbal expressions that can be a tad confusing. One in particular, that's driven me marginally crazy since I've had the book, is in the section on drums where he talks about toms. He talks about bouncing each fill to a stereo pair at half speed and using that opportunity to perfect the attack, level, pan, and dynamic movements to make each fill special. He follows that with the sentence, "Tasty switches, fade-ins, fade-outs, and panning can distort the listener's perception of time enough to create some magic tom moments." If you get chance, can you ask him what he means by "tasty switches." I'm pretty sure there's some hidden gold in there, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what he means by that.

If you can find that out for me, I will certainly be in your debt, and will finally be able to move on. Not knowing something anchors a part of your brain to that spot and there it remains in confusion whenever you are reminded.

Anyway, I'm glad you found my mini-review helpful and I know you'll find Stavrou's book enlightening and will open up a new way of looking at mixing and recording.

All the best,

-B-

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by soundsuite.
    • This reply was modified 7 years ago by soundsuite.