Melissa Bell
Participant

Hi Mervyn!

I think there are a lot of tonal and feel differences from my mix here, but I would especially point to the drums. I think you've got the levels in the ballpark in the softer sections, but the drums kind of fall back a bit too much in the bigger sections, and they lack a bit of the driving energy I think they need to carry the track forward. The tip I would give you EQ and compression-wise here is to focus on creating a sense of punchiness, and don't be afraid to get aggressive to do it.

On the other hand, I think you've done a pretty good job of capturing "the basic idea" of how I approached my balances, especially in the choruses! I also want to congratulate you on finding and trying to replicate a few of the automation rides I did - good job paying attention to that stuff! It's not always easy to pick out.

I will say that I'm really interested to see if anybody will get more in the ballpark of my guitar breakdown section. I did a few interesting things in there, and if somebody gets pretty close I'll be super curious to hear what they did!

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Melissa Bell.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Melissa Bell.